*Chapter 9*

Words: 2819

First published: 7th August 2016
Updated: 27th June 2021

In the darkness she sat. She could be alone in the darkness. Nobody to talk to her and distract her. Nobody to feed her emotions. Wolves were naturally attuned to other people's emotions but Selene just felt like all she could feel were emotions. Like they were pilling on top of her crushing her. When she was alone there was nobody there. She could finally feel her own emotions. She could think.

Selene knew she shouldn't be here however. She was putting herself in danger here. But it was drilled into her from a young age to return home. You get hurt? Return home. You get lost? Return home. You get separated? Return home. Right now she found comfort in the old burnt walls covered in ash. But, she still knew that she shouldn't be here right now. The hunters could easily take her down right now. She heard the floorboards creaking. Someone was here with her. The silence would come to an end. It wasn't just her anymore. 

"You shouldn't be here." the voice of the stranger filled the silence. She almost burst into tears then and there. Selene looked up from the floor and saw Derek leaning against the door frame. He was alive. She had already believed that but there was a difference between believing and hoping something was true and knowing it completely.  

She stood up and rushed over to him hugging him tightly. He winced slightly, not quite completely healed from being impaled. Wounds from an alpha take longer to heal than ordinary wounds. He ran a hand up and down her back to comfort her. He couldn't remember the last time she had been so happy to see him. He closed his eyes and remembered when he used to come home from school when a very young. Selene would run into his arms every day. He wished for a life as simple as that. The two wolves were happier in that life. Their nightmares hadn't been born yet.

"Derek. What is wrong with me?" She whispered. He pulled away from her and looked down. She had been crying. Streaks were running down her face. Her face was covered in ash from the floor and there were clear tear streaks running down either side of her face.

"What do you mean?" His voice was gentle. Neither of them could remember the last time he spoke to her like this.
"I've never felt the force of the moon this badly in years. It was almost like... As Scott got angrier so did I. I've always known I've been more attuned to other peoples emotions but this was... something else."
"There is nothing wrong with you. Yes other people's emotions seem to affect you more but that does not mean there is something wrong. I don't know what it is. But I promise I will figure it out... For you. Once the Alpha is gone I will spend my time making sure this doesn't happen again." 

Selene nodded rubbing her sleeve over her face washing away the tears and the ash. Derek pushed her hand away and used his own sleeve to wipe away what she didn't get. Now this was just like when they were younger.
"But for now you need to go back." He pointed out. "The Sheriff has the whole department looking for you. Its only a matter of time before they come here. They think I kidnapped you." He kissed her forehead and sent her on her way. The sun was coming up and the moon had gone. Its powers dying alongside the darkness.

Selene walked slowly through the woods not quite ready to face the world yet. But, she soon found herself on the road. Her feet taking her where she needed to go. She heard a car pull up behind her and then a voice call her name.

"Selene!" It was the Sheriff. She turned to look at him. He could tell by the look on her face and her blood shot eyes that he shouldn't press the situation. He could question her and ask her where she has been but part of him knew that it would only make her feel worse. He took off his jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders and lead her back to his car. He drove them to his house. It was the very early morning. Stiles was asleep in bed. Or at least that is what they assumed. It was only a couple of hours before he would have to get up for school. Selene inwardly groaned. That also meant she only had a couple of hours to get some sleep.