Chapter 4

I want to stop running, but I can't. My feet just keep on moving without my permission, it seems. I am totally out of breath, and I feel like I have been running for two hours straight. Finally, I manage to stop running somehow. Trying to catch my breath, I look around me. The place I ran to seems unfamiliar. I don't think I have been here before. There are not too many people on the streets, except for some people who seem to be in a hurry to make it to their office in time. The buildings surrounding me are very tall, they are almost like skyscrapers. Is this downtown Miami? It could be, since I don't recall being here before.

After I walked around for like half an hour, the realization of being away from school hits me again. I take out my phone and unlock it. I instantly get overwhelmed by the amount of missed calls and text messages.

Dinah: Mila where are you? Lauren is looking for you, she seems freaked out.

Dinah: Mila?

Dinah: Girl you're making me freak out too.

Normani: Dawg answer your phone.

Dinah: Karla Camila Cabello, I give you two more minutes or I call the cops!!

That text was sent an hour ago. Shit, are the cops looking for me now? Opening google maps, I am trying to find my location, so I can walk home. At the moment the application opens, the screen turns black, indicating that my battery just died. Shit!
I really start to freak out. I have no idea where I am and how to get home. A little tear starts rolling down my cheek.

I lost track of time. I am sitting on the cold sidewalk, still not sure of how to get home. It's already getting dark outside. I tried to ask people for help, but they al said things to me like: "get a job" or "sorry, I am running late."
They probably think I am homeless or something like that. So here I am, sitting on the sidewalk in a unknown neighborhood, not having a phone to call for help. My mom and dad must be so worried, since it's already dark outside by now. Another tear starts rolling down my cheek. I am so stupid for running away. I could've just ran home, but instead I decided to just run for it, not thinking about the consequences.

I don't know how it happened, since I live in Miami, but I'm cold. I am walking down the streets, and I just can't seem to find any kind of shop to ask for help. I am not even freaked out anymore, my emotions seem non-existent. After walking for another hour, I reached a neighborhood that seems more ghetto-like. I feel really uncomfortable here. There are a lot of gangs on the streets here, and that scares me quite a lot.

I hear a car horn. I look behind me.
First off, I am blinded by the lights of the car.
"Camz," I hear a familar, husky voice say. As I get my vision back, I look straight into a pair of green eyes.
"Jesus, we were so worried!" I hear a voice say. It's obviously a guy's voice. I can't bring myself to say anything, I feel numb. The green eyes belong to the  girl I ran away from earlier: Lauren. "Camz, are you okay?" Lauren asks me. I start fumbeling with my own fingers, showing my discomfort. After a few seconds, I realize that I still didn't give Lauren an answer. Looking up to meet her gaze, I see her looking apologetic. "Camz, I am really sorry about what happened earlier." She says sincere. She looks me straight in the eyes, almost hypnotizing me. "What happened earlier?" I hear the guy ask. Shortly after that, a face appears next to Lauren's. Oh my god, of course it has to be her boyfriend. Out of all people that are probably looking for me, Lauren had to find me. "Nothing you should know about." Lauren assures her boyfriend. I start to tense up a little bit. Well, actually, I start to tense up quite a lot. What the hell is she thinking. "Nothing he should know about?" I ask, rising my voice. "Camz," Lauren says stuttering, but I don't give her the chance to finish. "What the hell is wrong with you Lauren? Tell him the fucking truth before I do!" I yell at her. Tears start to form in my eyes, but I see them in Lauren's as well. "Please Camz, you are just tired and cold, please come home with me so we can talk about it." Lauren manages to say softly. "What the fuck is going on?" I hear Lauren's boyfriend say. I look up and meet his gaze. "Nothing you should know about." I scoff. I am beyond pissed. I feel like screaming. I turn around and walk away, not feeling like talking to either Lauren or her stupid boyfriend. I keep on walking until I feel somebody grab my wrist and spin me around. "What the fuck do you want, Lauren?" I yell. The person who spun me around is indeed Lauren. "First you don't tell me about your goddamn relationship, while I thougt you were my best friend. Then you kiss me out of nowhere. What in the heavens is wrong with you?" I scream at her. Lauren's eyes fill up with sadness and hurt. She releases my wrist and opens her mouth. "Camz-"
"Don't fucking Camz me right now!" I cut her off. Lauren stares at her feet. "What the fuck Lauren?" I hear Laurens boyfriend say in the distance. "You kissed her?" He asks. I see him coming closer to us. As he is getting closer, the angry look on his face is becoming evident. As he reaches us, he immediatly throws Lauren up against a wall and hits her right in the face. Lauren doesn't move, a tear rolling down her cheek. I instantly feel sorry for saying what I said.
"Fuck you, nasty bitch!" He says, releasing Lauren and running back to the car. He then drives away. Great, now I am stuck here, in the middle of nowhere, with Lauren.