Three- Gideon

"Why are you floating?"

Honestly not my best one-liner, but as I looked up and down this kid it was the only thing I could think of.

"I believe you meant to ask who I am? Or how I know your name." Mentally, I smacked myself in the face. Thank goodness Dipper wasn't here to see that...

"Yeah, that'd be good to know." The Mystery kid-he looked like he was my age, maybe a year or two younger- floated down I held out his hand to help me stand.

"My name is Gideon Northwest," He began.

"Hey, I know who you are! Ford's always cursing your family under his breath!" I said without thinking. Gideon didn't seem bothered, thankfully.

"Yes, and you're Mabel Pines. I could sense a Pines in these woods and I decided to investigate." I kept my mouth shut. Had he seen me take the Journal?

"I guess that brings us back to the floating?"

"Oh yes." He tapped a turquoise gem that hung around his neck. "This amulet gives me magical abilities." I briefly wondered if the Journal was magic in any way.

"So can you help me get back to the Mystery Shack? My Great Uncle's probably really worried..." That's a lie. If Ford's worried about anything, it's the lack of people helping him scam tourists.

"I can tell you're lying." I blushed. "But I'll help you anyway. Hold on." He grabbed me and wrapped his arms around me. I held on tightly and we floated towards the Shack.

"Wait, why are you helping me? You have all that magic so why even bother?" I inquired.

"Please, I have standards. I'm not her."

"Okay then." I reminded myself to later ask about her, just so I was caught up.

"We're here." Gideon put me down on the porch.

"Thanks," I said, looking at the door. "Does this mean we're friends?" I looked back at Gideon, who had already started to float away.

"I'll consider it. And Mabel?" He stopped.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"If I were you I'd keep the Journal hidden. After all-- I hid mine." He disappeared into the fog, leaving me speechless.

"Mabel?" Ford asked, opening the door. "What's going-sweet mother of science, you've sprained your ankle!"

After about ten minutes Melody had my foot wrapped up in gauze and a hot cocoa in my hands.

"Mabel, how on Earth did you manage to so rain your ankle?" Ford questioned, making sure it was elevated enough.

"Um..." I had to think quick. "Went I went for my walk. I slipped on some ice and had to limp home." Ford nodded, clearly impressed.

"Well, I have a crutch for you, but I only want you to get up to use the bathroom." I spent the rest of the day watching a television series about a Magpie who could somehow solve crimes, the entire time wishing it was night so I could discover everything I could in the journal.