| Thirteen | Royal Revelation

A cover of hazy darkness has engulfed the land like a great black blanket by the time we reach the capital city. It's far too dark for me to see anything or tell what the city is really like.

"So... where to?" I ask, trying not to let my nervousness show.

"Back to the palace," says Aysela. "Despite Alyna, the prince has yet to kick me out. Hopefully they'll let you in with me."

"Alright," I say nervously. After all, the reigning monarch did try to murder my best friend. And that queen is sure to be in the palace. It's only normal to be nervous about the possibility of coming face to face with her. Or at least that's what I tell myself in an effort to console my jittery nerves.

"And Ivy," says Aysela, a new urgency coming unto her silken voice that makes me turn towards her.

"Yes?"

"Whatever you do, you can not let on you know I'm a siren. Were anyone to find out, they might suspect Alyna as well and that would not go over well. At all. She's extremely perceptive. If she has any feeling that you might pose a threat, you will become a pile of ashes before you even see it coming."

I swallow nervously. Something else that Aysela said has caught my attention.

"What do you mean not to let anyone else know that you guys are sirens?" I ask. "Do they really not know?"

"Of course not," says Aysela, sounding shocked. "Do you really think you stuck up lowly humans would allow us sirens in the palace? People have all sorts of wild superstitions about us. They're convinced that we're evil killing machines. It's ridiculous; it's not like humans are any better."

I decide it's for the best not to tell her that I'm not sure that she isn't an evil killing machine. Instead, I ask, "What about your animal-like eyes? Your sharp teeth? Your blue flesh? Do they really not realize that you inhuman? I mean, Snow and I noticed pretty much instantly. And as soon as Snow got a good look at you she realized that you were a siren."

"Yeah," says Aysela. She chews her blue lip with sharp teeth that make me wonder how the skin isn't pierced and bleeding. "We cast a spell. A concealing song, the last one I was allowed to sing before my banishment. To protect ourselves from humans, so they can't see our true appearances. I don't know how you were able to see me like that. Something about the two of you must be different. But you should not have been able to see. In fact, if this trend keeps up, you'll probably be able to see how Alyna really looks as well and you must not let on."

"So you mean nobody else can see your teeth?" I gasp.

"Essentially," says Aysela. "People will see what they want to see. It's an easy spell. People see you from afar, they see a beautiful girl, they believe you are a beautiful girl. It's easy to keep them believing it."

"Oo-kay," I say, nervously. "So is there anything else I should know?"

"Nope," says Aysela. "Just don't trust Alyna and kill her first chance you get. And once you do all of Oceania will forever be in your debt. Here, we're here."

And indeed, I was too engrossed in all she was telling me to realize that we have arrived at the base of the most majestic building I have ever seen. It's too dark to see details, but even now I can see that Snow wasn't exaggerating when she bragged of the palace's splendor. Of its tall towers and turrets, its majestic architecture, of the large, looming, magical feel it casts.

"Halt." The voice coming from the darkness, on the other hand, is anything but welcoming. My eyes have adjusted enough so that after a moment, I can see a tall, burly looking guard standing by the majestic door, hand on the hilt of what can only be a wicked sword. "Who bypasses?" he asks.