Jason Todd One-Shot

Quick and realllllyyyy short one-shot to get my writing flowing. nerdygirl310 This lil shit is for you! And oracle01 and PixieBootsLover

Jason hated himself. It was as natural for him as breathing now. A puff of smoke exited his lips, just as the cigarette bud finished.

He hated how he died. How heroic was that? Getting betrayed by his own mother only to be handed to the clown prince of crime.

Needless to say he had better moments. But that was not the point. That wasn't necessarily the reason for despising his very being.

It was the fact that he had left Barbara alone. In the hospital. Paralyzed. A few months ago, he was buried. And Jason had found out that, the funeral was the first time Barbara had gone to Bruce's manor or anywhere really.

He knew about it. He also knew that she wouldn't be the same energetic, sassy, and witty girl he knew. Not after that. Hell, he wasn't the same teenage boy she had known either, he died for crying out loud.

He groaned in spite himself. His red mask discarded next to him on the roof across her house. He could see just how broken she was, and yet he didn't have the strength to go up to her and comfort her.

He wanted to. God, he really did, but then he saw something that stopped him from leaping over.

He saw her, despite her condition, she was already becoming accustomed to the chair. He also saw her fighting.

Her green eyes had gained their old glint, as she pressed her palm on the wall, an opening. From Jason's perspective, was rather dark until she wheeled herself in and the lights flicked on.

Wires, outlets, and a com sat, hooked into several computers had Barbara smirking.

He saw her. But she didn't see him. She was happy the way she was, he didn't need to give her more baggage.

He smiled slightly as she ratted off on Bruce, or was it Richard? He never could tell the difference when she'd rant. Even if he tried reading her lips.

Grabbing his leather jacket, he tossed the bud away from the building, down into the puddle below.

He slid the jacket sleeves into his arms and settled into the old leather. He sighed blissfully.

He turned to see Barbara glancing out the window, toward him. He smiled sadly, this part he would hate the most, once she would turn to get her glasses he'd be gone.

But not before leaving a surprise. He gently placed a wrapped box on the doorstep, knocking quickly and left.

Barbara would open it, and find a clue. Her first clue, a simple gift she had given him years ago. A necklace of a golden bat.

A symbol of their friendship. One that both missed dearly.

Jason smiled as she gasped. His mask now on his head.

"Maybe next time, I'll be ready to show you." He paused before remembering the nickname he made for her.

"I'm back, Barbie."