Doubts and worries

*Time to be Eridan again!*

You walked home slowly, thinking about what [y/n] had said. You were no stranger to 'quadrant problems' as she put it. It was a well known fact that you were not particularly lucky when it came to love.

A small part of you hoped that she was thinking of you but you knew that she probably meant Sollux. That mustard blooded asshole spent more time with her than you liked.

You silently prayed that [y/n] wasn't going to ask Sollux to be her matesprite. You considered briefly asking her yourself but quickly chased the thought away, you couldn't bare another rejection.

Time skip is brought to you by, the power of doubts.

At school the next day you noticed [y/n] wandering the halls alone during lunch. She was usually sitting with Sollux an you wondered if maybe something was the matter between them.

You silently scolded yourself for feeling so happy about this when suddenly, your heart skipped a beat. What if you were right and the reason she was avoiding Sollux was because she was planning on asking him out?

You told yourself not to jump to conclusions and decided to go talk to her.

You walk up behind her and say, "Hi [y/n]," making her jump in surprise.

She turned around and grinned, "Hi Eridan."

You smile, "So howw'vve you been?" You ask casually.

She shrugs, "I've been ok."

You nod slowly before asking offhandedly, "Wwhere's Sol? You're usually wwith him."

She shrugs again, "Sollux and I aren't exactly on good terms right now."

You perk up, "Really? May I ask wwhy?"

"It's not important, well, no, I guess it is, at least for him, I just, ugh, it's all so complicated."

You frowned, "Are you sure you don't wwant to tell me about it?"

She sighs, "I just don't want you to make him feel worse about it. If I didn't know better, you two could be kismeissis."

Don't think I havven't tried, you thought to yourself. Out loud however you say, "I promise I wwon't talk to him about it. You can trust me."

She stares at you for a moment, "Fine, it's probably better than keeping it bottled up."

She thinks for a moment then continued, "Sollux asked me to be his matesprite, I said no and he told me it was fine but now he seems to be avoiding me. I really don't want him to shut me out completely and I miss hanging out with him."

You blink, did you hear her right? She turned down Sollux? "He's just hurt, he'll get ovver it, you, you two are super close," you tell her.

Deep down, your thoughts started racing. If she didn't want to be matesprite with Sollux, you had no chance. As much as it pained you to admit it, she was much better friends with him than you.

[Y/n]'s voice shook you out of your thoughts, "I guess you're right." She said, "You are the expert of rejections." She added smirking.

You frown, "Gee thanks."

She looks away, "Sorry, that wasn't funny was it?"

You sigh, "It's alright."

She looks at her watch, "We should probably head to class," she notes.

"Ya," you stood there for a moment staring at each other before you reach over qnd give her a hug, at first she freezes then she hugs you back. "Feel better," you tell her. "See you around," you add and walk away.

As soon as she's out of sight you let out a sigh of relief and grin. So she wasn't flushed for Sollux. Thank gog, she's way too good for him anyways.

She also hadn't pulled away from your hug which you supposed was a good thing. As a subtle thank you, you decided to go see if you could convince Sollux to forgive [y/n].