Chapter 12: The Love Song

The Love Song

Ethan and Harper were cuddling on the couch, watching Finding Dory. Harper happily munched on popcorn while Ethan was lost in his thoughts.

It's was their last day together. The month was coming to an end. Tomorrow morning, everything would change. Their lives would change. Ethan couldn't help but think that it didn't bother Harper, but he would be lying to himself. Under all those chuckles and comments on the little fish, he knew Harper was dreading the next morning just as much as he was or maybe even more. But the bad thing was, she was doing a better job at being happy than him. That just made him realise, how emotionally strong she was.

"Aww...poor Dory," Harper's smile turned upside down, her heart aching for the cute little fish.

Ethan glanced at her and his heart skipped a beat on seeing her sad face. He wanted to kiss the frown away. So he did one thing he knew would lift her mood up.

He started tickling her.

At first, he tickled her side and once she started squirming away from him, he pushed her down on the couch and straddled her.

"Ethan, what are you doing?" Harper scolded, trying to push him off her.

"You're not paying attention to me. The little fish has got all your attention," Ethan justified, a cute frown forming on his handsome face.

Harper looked at him for a moment before bursting into fits of laughter. Though Ethan loved hearing the melodic laugh, he had to play his part.
So he narrowed his eyes at her and crossed his arms over his chest, not moving from his straddled position.

Harper calmed down to take a breath and said, "You're jealous. Of a fish." It wasn't a question but rather a statement.

"Psst. No. I'm not," Ethan retorted, shaking his head vigorously.

Harper chuckled at his reaction but didn't say anything. She turned her head towards the TV screen and continued watching the movie. Ethan obviously didn't like that, so he placed his hands on either side of her face and turned it towards him.

"See you're doing it again," he whined, his hands not leaving her face.

Harper smirked at him, "Accept that you're jealous of Dory and I might think of paying attention to you."

"I am not jealous of that fish," Ethan shot out, not caring that he sounded like a petulant child.

Harper tsked at him, "You sure are." She knew she was getting on his nerves but she couldn't leave the chance to irk him more.

Ethan wiggled his fingers, inching them closer to her sides. "What did you just say?" he questioned in a low, dangerous tone.

However, his tone had no effect on Harper as she pushed his hands away from her and said with as much sass as she could muster in her tone, "You can either agree with me or you can be wrong. Take your pick."

Ethan gaped at her for a full minute, before plunging his fingers into her sides, making her laugh, yell at him to stop and try to get away from him at the same time.

"Say that I'm the best guy you had the privilege to meet and that I'm not jealous of a fish," Ethan continued tickling her when she didn't repeat his words.

"Stop. Ethan, please stop," Harper breathed. The laughter had started to make her tummy ache. Her hands tried pushing his fingers away but that didn't seem to work. The movie was forgotten as Finding Dory played in the background.

"So just say it. Its not that difficult, now is it?" Ethan repeated the words and stop tickling her for a minute.

Harper's breathing became steady once again and she looked up at him, "You're not the only guy in this Universe but you are the only one that matters to me."

Ethan's eyes softened at her words and even though they were not what he asked her to say, he was happy to hear them. He slowly leaned down to kiss her but before he could, Harper spoke up again, "And you're so jealous of Dory."

Ethan went stiff and glared at her, making her laugh.

"You're a meanie!" he exclaimed, getting off her and sitting down on the couch, his hands folded across his chest and his lips forming a pout.

Harper shook her head at his immature behaviour but didn't comment. She loved this side of him. He rarely was carefree, always very guarded.

While Ethan was sulking around, Harper tried to talk to him but he wouldn't listen to her. Ofcourse he wasn't angry at her, he was just having a little fun. So when Harper played 'their' song, he was surprised.

The playful act was forgotten. Her comment about him being jealous was forgotten. He looked at Harper as she moved away from the speakers towards him. Harper reached him and held her hand out.

Ethan absentmindedly placed his hand in hers and let her pull him up.
He guided his hands around her waist and her hands wound around his neck. As 'Mirrors' by Justin Timberlake played, the lovers swayed from side to side.

It was their 'love song.' The first song they ever danced together to, the first song to be played at their wedding reception. No matter how mad or angry one of them was, once the song was played the two of them would happily dance to it.

'Cause I don't wanna lose you now
I'm lookin' right at the other half of me
The vacancy that sat in my heart
Is a space that now you hold
Show me how to fight for now
And I'll tell you, baby, it was easy
Comin' back here to you once I figured it out
You were right here all along

It's like you're my mirror
My mirror staring back at me
I couldn't get any bigger
With anyone else beside of me
And now it's clear as this promise
That we're making two reflections into one
'Cause it's like you're my mirror
My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me.'

Ethan whispered the lyrics to Harper like always and Harper got onto her tip toes to kiss him. This is how it always went, Harper would mouth some lyrics, then Ethan would continue from where she stopped and they would kiss. Cause there had always been something about kissing your love while dancing to slow music.

But this time, every kiss they shared, it was filled with happiness, pain, longing, joys, sorrows and love. Both of them were trying to convey messages to each other through the kisses.

'Girl you're my reflection, all I see is you
My reflection, in everything I do
You're my reflection and all I see is you
My reflection, in everything I do

You are, you are the love of my life.'

Ethan mouthed the last lines, looking at Harper with pure love and admiration and fear in his eyes. Fear of losing her.

His eyes met hers as he whispered, "You make me feel so proud of being in love with you."

Harper could feel the tears veil her eyes and so she buried her face into his chest, hugging him tightly to her.

She didn't trust herself to speak in the fear of bursting into tears. She felt Ethan kiss the top of her head as he murmured, "No matter what happens to us in the future, just know that everyday we are together is the greatest day of my life."

And in that moment, Harper couldn't believe how lucky she was to find a guy like him. She was proud to call him hers.