Chapter 8: The Outcome

The Outcome

As soon as the words left Harper's mouth, her mother burst into tears. Mrs. West could hardly contain her tears as she stumbled into her husband's arms. Both the men held onto their wives. The smiles had left their faces and sadness had taken over. Ethan hung his head in disappointment. He knew this was going to happen, then why did he not prevent it from happening?

Harper could feel the tears form in her eyes as well. She now wished that she hadn't told them about the letter. She too, blamed herself for it.

Before anyone could say anything, she rushed out of the living room and locked herself in her room. She couldn't face any of them. It was Christmas, for god's sake. She shouldn't have spoilt it for them. Harper sat there, against the door, as she sobbed to her heart's content.

Ethan turned to go after her but his father held him back. "She needs time. Leave her alone for some time, she'll come around."

"But-" Ethan started only to be cut off by his mother-in-law.

"She will not listen to you, son. You know how stubborn she is," Mrs. Smith spoke feebly.

All of them sat there in the living room, not knowing what to do. Ethan so badly wanted to go and comfort his wife but he knew that she needed her space. He realised that she had been strong for far too long and all the pent up emotions were showing up.

After a while of just sitting there, Ethan had the sudden urge to get away from everyone and stay alone. He discreetly excused himself to prepare coffee for everyone.

Entering the kitchen, he grabbed five mugs and started the kettle. As he waited for the water to boil, Ethan stood there, gripping the kitchen counter tightly. He was getting frustrated with all of this. How he wished, he could do something for his family.

While Ethan was lost in thoughts, he didn't hear his mother enter the kitchen but he did feel her presence there. She held back her tears as she looked at her son. He looked so lost and disturbed, it hurt her to see him in that state.

She placed her hand on his shoulder and almost immediately, she was engulfed in a bone crushing hug. Mrs. West chuckled through the tears and rubbed her hand up and down his back, feeling him relax under her touch.

"What are you doing here, Mom. I was getting the coffee," Ethan murmured into her shoulder, although he was thankful for her to be there for him.

Mrs. West sighed before pulling away, "Ethan, you don't have to hide your feelings from me. I'm your mother, I know what is going on with my son even if you don't tell me."

Ethan smiled at her sadly, before pulling her towards him and placing a kiss on her temple. How could he ever forget that his mother could read him like no one else. He'd been a Momma's boy always and that wasn't going to change.

"I don't know what to do, Mom. I'm really trying hard but everything seems to complicate itself over and over again. I can't see her like this, I can't."

"Sweetie, do you remember what you told me the first time I asked you about Harper?" Mrs. West questioned, looking at her son with a small smile.

Ethan thought for a moment before nodding his head, a smile gracing his lips and blush colouring his face. He remembered that day clearly even today.

Mrs. West smirked as she saw her son's dreamy, lovestruck face. She knew her son was in love but what sort of a mother would she be if she didn't tease him a little. So she masked her face into a stern expression and stood in front of her son.

The twenty one year old was lost in the thoughts of a certain beauty to notice his mother standing in front of him with her hands on her hips.

"Who is she?" he heard his mother question and his eyes widen on their own accord as he took in her stance.

"What are you talking about, Ma?" he nervously asked, his hand inching towards the back of his neck. A nervous habit he'd picked on. His mother noticed it and quirked her brow at him.

"Don't even try to hide it from me. I know there is a girl," his mother spoke in a serious voice.

Ethan knew he couldn't hide anything from her so he sighed and nodded his head, his eyes cast towards the ground.

"Do you know her well?" she questioned once again, trying to mask the excitement in her voice.

Ethan nodded once again.

"And what kind of a girl is she?" she asked in a softer tone, wanting to know about the girl who managed to grab her son's heart.

Ethan paused for a moment before speaking, "She's the kind of girl that is sweet but at the same time she won't take any nonsense from you. She'll hang up and then probably call you again to say sorry. She says she isn't ticklish, but she is. She is stubborn but caring as well. She doesn't like having food alone, even if she says otherwise. She can't sleep if her feet are cold. She'll do her best to help you and won't give up on you if she believes in you. She's the kind of girl who believes in loving somebody forever, even though she says that love is stupid."

Mrs. West could only 'aww' at her son. She instantly hugged him, breaking Ethan's line of thoughts. He blushed profusely and buried his face in his mother's shoulder as her laugh echoed in the silent room.

"Come on, Ethan. The coffee is ready," Ethan shook his head and looked at his mother to see her placing the coffee mugs on a tray.

He scratched the back of his head and smiled sheepishly when he realised that he had zoned out. Ethan nudged her aside and picked up the tray, ignoring his mother's look.

****

As soon as his parents and in-laws retired to the guest rooms, Ethan rushed upstairs and knocked on their bedroom door.

Getting no response in return, he turned the knob but the door didn't budge. Confused as to why Harper would lock the door, he called out to her. Harper sat on the other side of the door, not wanting to talk to anyone. Occasional sniffs were heard from her but other than that, it was eerily silent.

Ethan heard her sniff and he sighed, leaning his forehead again the door. "Harper, baby. Please open the door. Let me in, please."

Harper shook her head before bringing her knees to her chest and wrapping her arms around them. She didn't want him to see her in this state, knowing that he would blame himself for it.

"I love you, Harper. I'm not going anywhere. Open the door please," Ethan mumbled, tapping his fist on the door.

A sob left Harper's mouth and she instantly shoved her fist into her mouth to prevent more sobs.

Unfortunately, Ethan heard her sob and he slid down the door, resting his back against it. He clenched his fists and squeezed his eyes shut as another sob was heard. Every sob felt like daggers to his heart. And the worst part, he couldn't even do anything about it. He felt helpless but yet, he sat there the whole night.

Atleast Harper felt herself calm down knowing he was there on the other side of the door. And his deep breaths served as a lullaby for her and sleep consumed her. That night, both the lovers slept against the door, away from each other but yet so close.