Part 32: the secret (1)

Chelsea's point of view

FINALLY!! School ended for winter break yesterday and it was finally Saturday morning. I dragged my suitcase down the stairs ready for our trip to Vale. Justin was picking me up any minute now and we were heading straight to the airport where we were meeting every one else.

'Good morning honey, have you had any breakfast?' My mom asked me as she emerged from the kitchen.

'Morning mom, yeah I had some earlier. I'm just waiting for Justin.' I told her just as I heard a knock on the front door.

I rushed over to open it and saw a smiling Justin on the other side.

'Ready?' He asked. A huge smile formed and I nodded my head in excitement. Justin entered my house and picked up my suitcase to carry to the car for me. 'Hi Mrs Oakley.' He smiled to my mom.

'How many times Justin? Please call me Ashley.' She insisted as Justin lugged my suitcase to the car. 'Have a safe trip to you two. Enjoy yourselves.' My mom yelled from the front door as we climbed in to the car after I said my goodbyes to her. My dad went away on some business trip yesterday morning so I said goodbye to him then.

As we sat in the car making our way to LAX, the music blasting along with the heating warming up the car since it was pretty cold, Justin began to turn the music down.

'Heyy..' I complained as he turned off one of my favourite songs.

'Can I ask you something?' He asked, sounding slightly unsure.

'Is everything ok?' I asked, a worried feeling shooting through me.

'Yeah, I was just wondering. Do you remember not long after we met, you said something about not wanting to tell me a secret or something?' As soon as the words left his mouth, I knew exactly what he was referring to. The secret. I'd completely forgot about even telling Justin. I didn't mind him knowing now, it just never came up.

'What about it?' I asked.

'What is it?' He questioned. 'I mean you don't have to tell me but I'd rather we didn't have secrets.'

I took a deep breath. 'I don't mind telling you Justin. I trust you.' I half smiled. 'So, up until winter last year, I wasn't the girl I am today.' I began.

Justin turned to look at me with raised eyebrows before turning his attention back to the road. 'How so?'

I continued. 'Well, to put it one way or another I was kind of a nerd. Kinda chubby. Extremely shy. Extremely insecure and self conscious. Kept myself to myself. Had only one real friend, everyone else were just people I knew, they never really cared about me like my best friend did. It's not that I minded. I was content with my life but not with the person I was. I hated myself. I wished to be prettier like my best friend, Maya. She got all the boys while I was the little ugly thing that tagged along with her. I wished to have confidence and be happy with who I was.' I paused.

I felt Justin's hand rest on my thigh. 'Go on,' he encouraged.

'Well, then there came this day when I met a boy, Brandon. He moved to our school and instantly hit it off with everyone. Of course I assumed he'd be interested in Maya straight away. I mean who wasn't. Except, he told me it was me he was interested in. I couldn't believe it. A guy was interested in me for the first time in my entire life. Of course I thought it was a joke at first but he assured me it wasn't and we actually ended up dating. Everything seemed so perfect. Maya was over the moon with joy for me and I felt so special, more special than I had ever felt before. It didn't last long though..' I stopped mid story. Remembering what had happened.

Justin's hand that was resting on my thigh over my jeans squeezed it slightly but he didn't say a word, waiting for me to continue when I was ready.

'We were at this end of summer party that Brandon was throwing. The first one I'd ever been to. I was having a great time, dancing with Maya, having a genuine laugh with everyone. Suddenly the music stopped and Brandon was getting everyone's attention. He called me up to where he was standing and placed his arm over my shoulder.' I felt a tear escape and roll down my cheek. 'I thought he was going to announce something nice about me, about our relationship. I couldn't be more wrong if I tried.' I chuckled pathetically to myself, wiping my hands over my eyes. 'God, I was so naive and stupid back then.'

'What'd he do baby?' I could hear the concern mixed with sympathy in Justin's voice. I hated remembering this.