Dark love-the demon king (chapter 8)

Chapter 8

Noah rolled the sleeves of his white shirt up to his elbows and gave himself a second look in the mirror. Good to go. Hopefully.

He felt like a young lad trying to impress his woman. He had never paid much attention to his dressing style because it came naturally to him. Years of being a king had ingrained that into him. Plus his parents had made sure he was the perfect gentleman. Your demeanour decides the first impression you leave on people. Remember that son. His father had often told him so.

But his usual grace and natural sense of style didn't assure him now. He was double checking his whole attire at least twice to make sure he was appropriately dressed. Something about Eva put him on the very edge making him almost nervous. She could make a grown battle-hardened man cower with just a glance. But that was not the reason for the reaction she invoked in him. The reason was much more...baser. More primal. She made the demon in him want to beat its chest and roar in triumph.

He had not dreamt today. But he hadn't slept much either. He hadn't expected himself to sleep with Eva in the manse anyway. Who could?! At least he was not the only one anxious and on the edge. He had finally managed to get a tap on Eva's emotions. Just for a second but that put him to ease. And he knew his proximity did affect her. She had covered it extremely well earlier in her room but he had seen through it. He had seen her reacting finally. That thought calmed him a bit.

His kind was driven to bed when the sun came out with an unnatural lethargy affecting their system but fire demons of elder age could often stay up by harvesting the energy present all around them. He could go without sleep for days easily but later it would start to take a toll on him too.

He closed his eyes concentrating on energy of the fire in the fire place. Normally it would have calmed him within just a few minutes but right now it didn't do anything to calm his jittery nerves. It was making him awfully anxious to stay away from her. He was actually spending a considerable amount of energy just keeping himself from going to her room. He knew he wouldn't be able to take more of this.

If anyone saw him like this right now he would have no face left. The calm, dependable king had finally gone crack. All the way.

He poured himself a glass of whisky mixed with ambrosia wondering if the liquor could do something to calm his thoughts.

Dropping down onto the couch with a distinctive sigh he looked up at the ceiling. Taking another swig he rubbed his nape with nimble fingers. He looked at the swirling liquid in the glass and smiled wryly. Should have guessed it wouldn't help. Still holding the glass he dropped his head down and stared blankly at the rug.

He sensed Sahran approaching even before he heard the knock on the door. He could make out distinctive energy patterns around him alerting him to anyone's presence. But he hadn't sensed them. Another question he needed to ask. He sighed again and beckoned Sahran in.

"Ready?"

He simply nodded and kept the glass on the centre table without looking. Still he couldn't bring himself to get up. Just one moment, all he needed was a moment.

"Don't look all that ready."  Sahran said in a barely audible voice. Or maybe he couldn't hear him over the roaring in his ears, who knew?

"I’m ready." He flinched at the hoarseness in his voice. Finally rising up he made himself get his act togeather. Giving a slight smile he motioned Sahran out of the room. Glancing one last time at himself in the mirror he was surprised to find that barely a trace of his inner turmoil was reflecting on his face. Sahran was more intuitive than Noah gave him credit for.

Walking beside Sahran he asked him "Sent someone to get them?"

Sahran's jaw twitched visibly before he answered." Yes, all the three of them."