No one asked the three of us- Sammy, Betty, and I- to the Yule Ball, so we agreed to go together. Mum always told me that it's more fun to go to things like this with your friends anyway.

When I overheard Fred asking Angelina, I felt this odd burning sensation in my chest. Jealous much? No! Seriously though, why am I feeling weird things towards my best friend?
——
The morning before the Yule Ball I was sitting with the twins in the common room, playing a game of Exploding Snap.

I was winning and the twins were muttering profanities to me before Betty and Sammy came downstairs and dragged me and Hermione up to the dorm.

"FRED! GEORGE! Save me!" I yelled as they dragged me up the stairs.

"No can do, Elle!" Fred yelled back.

"Geez, I thought you loved me!" I called, fighting the two girls pulling me up the stairs.

"I do!"

"Suuuure," I responded one last time before I was pulled into our dorm and the door slammed behind me.

"The ball is in five hours! Why do we need to get ready now?!" I complained after they let me go.

Sammy spoke up, "Because we are going to do stations. First station is in the bathroom, where you will bathe in scented water for twenty minutes. The second station is make up, which is on my bed. I will do the make up, then Betty will do mine. The third station is over in the corner, behind those screens where you will get in your dress. Finally the fourth station is over at my vanity, where Betty will do your hair. All our shoes are by the door, making that the last station as you look yourself over in the mirror and put on your shoes. Now quickly, Hermione and Elle into the bath! Pick your scents!"

I went to the bathroom, surprised to see that it actually looked nice. It can get quite messy with multiple girls sharing it...

I picked out a scent of vanilla and cotton candy, putting it in the bath since the water had already been drawn. The warm water was very relaxing. It didn't let me forget about the night of heels and dresses coming up though.

After the twenty minutes were up I got out, wrapped myself in a towel and went to Sammy so that she could do my makeup.

She gave me a blue kind of smokey eye to match the navy blue color of my dress. I had to at least tell them the color so they knew what style of makeup was needed. She gave me winged eyeliner, nude lipstick, and she only put mascara on my eyelashes as my eyelashes were naturally long. I have to admit, she did amazing.

Then I went and put on my dress. I had to use magic to get it on since the laces and zippers were so complicated that I twisted it around me somehow four times before I thought to use magic. When I nervously came out from behind the changing screen, the girls gasped, making me feel even more self conscious than I already did. "What? Does it look horrible?!"

"No! You look amazingly gorgeous. I'm jealous," Sammy exclaimed, making me blush. I hope Fred will like it. Wait, what?

"Thanks, Sam," I said quietly before I went over to Betty and let her do my hair. She put it into an elaborate side braid, letting a few pieces fall out to frame my face. It looked quite elegant in my opinion.

Once everyone was dressed and ready, we put on our heels and descended the staircase. Betty went first, then Sammy, then Hermione, and finally me. I just knew that George was catching flies in his mouth as he was surely gaping at Betty.

I felt someone staring at me but I didn't want to see who it was for fear of falling on my face and embarrassing myself. That's my luck, so I needed to focus all my energy on keeping my balance.

Betty, Sammy, and I hooked arms once I had descended and went to the Great Hall. I looked around but couldn't find either of the twins in the large crowd. Are they up to something or just hidden by the crowd?

I could see that everyone was jealous of Hermione because she was with Krum and she looked absolutely gorgeous. She wouldn't even tell us who she was going with, claiming to want to keep it a secret for a bit longer. I was shocked to say the least when I first seen them.

During the first dance- performed by the champions and their dates- Harry showed that he's not always as graceful as he is on the quidditch pitch. I suppose he could've been worse, but I certainly don't want to be his date. Let's just say that after the first dance Harry didn't dance again.

I was sitting with Betty when Draco Malfoy came up to me, "Would you like to dance?"

I smiled, "Of course, Cousin." He's not all bad, I suppose. What can one dance hurt? He led me to the middle of the dance floor, placing his hands on my waist as I wrapped mine around his neck.

"I see WeaslBee has been staring at you all night. Anything I should know about there?"

I blushed, "No. Fred and I are just friends." Unfortunately. Wait, where did that come from?

Draco rolled his eyes, "Okay, sure."

"I'm telling the truth!" I insisted, looking at him incredulously.

"But you want it to be something more, don't you?" He smirked.

"I-I-I don't know."

The song ended and he let me go, stalking away with a smirk and leaving me dumbfounded at his bluntness. Or, I should say the revelation he made me have. You like Fred.

I walked over to where Betty and I were sitting to see her dancing with George. Great. I'm alone with my thoughts about how the boy I was thought of as my brother could be something more eventually. I'm sure I'm quite the sight, since I probably look like I just seen a boggart.

"Would you like to dance?"

I looked up to see the devil himself standing in front of me with a smirk on his face, his blue eyes twinkling.

"Yes," I smiled, hoping not to reveal my sudden nervousness.

He led me to the dance floor and his hands wrapped around my waist and mine around his neck. I couldn't stop staring at him. He looked so... handsome. Sure, I'd always known it. His freckles, his perfectly messy hair, gorgeous eyes.

After the dance was over, I did my best to avoid Fred. You cannot have a crush on Fred.
------
Why do his ocean blue eyes stay in my mind? Why do I fantasize about being in his arms? Why can't I get the look on his face at the Yule Ball out of my head?

So many questions, not enough answers.

I decided to go to the Owlery to see the owls, as I always loved to pet them and I hoped it would help me clear my head and get some of these thoughts out of my mind.

Since it was the middle of winter there was, naturally, ice on the stairs. I was being careful but-being the klutz I am- my foot slipped and I was sent falling.

I didn't register anything until I felt my back and head collide with the ground, making stars cross my vision and the air to leave my chest. It was a blessing when the blackness finally consumed me.