Chapter 27

Persey's POV

It was as if time has stopped as I watched my world crashed and burned. The only thing I could do at the moment was to shriek while in the verge of tears. How can someone just shoot another without even thinking twice? How can someone be such a merciless monster?

"How could you?! What kind of a monster are you?!" I screamed at Evans' face.

"SHUT UP!" he shouted back.

James stepped inside and walked forward, pointing his gun towards Evans, while Evans was pointing his gun to my head. Everyone in the room except me and Cree, had their guns pointed at James, surrounding him.

 "That's enough, Evans," James said with his sharp eyes on Evans. "Leave my wife alone."

"Or what?" Evans raised his eyebrow. "You're being surrounded, Edwards. There's nothing you could do but to do what I say for the sake of your wife's life."

Little did James know that one of Evans' men was standing right behind him now, with his gun pointed right at the back of his head. He sensed the man's presence and started looking hopeless.

"Put your gun down," I heard the man said.

I've never seen James looked a bit startled. He swallowed and carefully put his gun down the floor.

"That's right, Edwards. Surrender," Evans smirked in so much satisfaction.

I thought James would even raise his hands up but he didn't. He didn't want to completely surrender. "Let go of Persephone... and Cree as well," he said.

"Oh, I will, okay?" Evans smirked again. "But not until you give me back my two million dollars."

James looked weary and troubled. Never did I see him like this before. He has always been so confident and never been bothered about anything. What I can see now is not a syndicate, but a husband who's trying to save his wife. I didn't know what to expect from him. I wasn't sure if he was willing to give up his money to save me.

"James, don't," I cried. I knew he heard me but he chose not to acknowledge my presence. He never laid his eyes on me since he entered the room.

"What are you waiting for, Edwards? Open the safe," Evans said.

If looks could kill, James and Evans were probably dying right now. They were staring at each other sharply, fire blazing in their eyes.

"Edwards, I'm waiting!" Evans exclaimed impatiently. "What's it gonna be? Your money or your wife?"

I saw James' hands closed into a fist. Just when he was about to take his first step towards the safe with a gun still pointed at his back, two men appeared in the doorway guarding two guys, one wearing a black suit and golf cap, the other a brown leather jacket and jeans.