Chapter 2 - Before the Storm

Storm clouds raged in the dark sky, pelting the earth with heavy drops and the occasional lightning bolt. Zeus was excited in anticipation of the event that would occur later that day.

Percy and Annabeth were sheltered by the protective force field around the camp, but anyone could see the awful thunder storm outside of it.  They sat in Percy's empty cabin, seeing as Tyson left to work with the other cyclops in the sea. They've been speaking for hours about potential reasons and answers for this sudden change in the Gods' personalities. Nothing answered their questions. No once did they speak of strategy in this insane 'game' they would be taking part in.  They didn't care.  There were bigger problems for them.

They've come up with many possible solutions: 1) Gaia somehow... someway 

2) The Titans... how? They had no idea.

3) Maybe they just changed for good...

4) One way or another, they're screwed.

There was no clear answer set in stone for them, so they frantically researched and racked their brains  for anything that may help them.  

"I give up!" Annabeth threw the tenth book she looked through across Percy's cabin and groaned. "I can't do this anymore. Percy," she lightly lifted his chin from his book he was flipping though. "We have to figure out how we'll stay alive."

"We've battled monsters, Gods, and Titans. I think we're good," Percy shook her off. 

"I'm serious Percy," Annabeth said solemnly. "We're fighting against people who've done the exact same thing their whole lives."

"Who exactly are we fighting against?" 

A bright flash of lightning illuminated the room.

--

"You are my strongest child, you must fight to show the other Gods my greatness."

Your greatness? YOUR GREATNESS? Is Greatness even a word?  Aelia thought to herself.  

Her father, the Almighty Roman God of Archery, Apollo explained the her what was in her future. A fight to the death, plain and simple.  And for some reason, the Gods thought it would be a great idea to make other demigods battle each other for their own glory. How selfish.

"There is no way I'm participating in that, father," Aelia spat.  

The God's face contorted in anger as he grew larger and larger, to be towering over his fifteen year old daughter. "YOU WILL FIGHT FOR ME," Apollo's voice boomed throughout the small temple.  Aelia had gone there earlier to pray to her father for answers, but she was not expecting this. 

Aelia shrunk back to the wall. 

Apollo shrunk back into his normal size. "You will fight. You have no choice," he said eerily calmly.  Without a warning, he vanished into the air, leaving Aelia dark shrine alone. 

A loud crack of thunder shook her out of her daze.  Aelia realized that she could die later that day.  Or worse, try to kill other half bloods.

--

"Yes, father," Clarisse nodded as her father told her about the event she was to participate in. She was excited out of her mind. She finally got a valid reason to kill Percy and Annabeth.

Her wildest dreams have come true. The only thing she was confused about was the fact that Ares had told her to call him 'Mars'... strange....

Mars ruffled her hair and told her to leave him.

Clarisse left Mount Olympus with a huge smile upon her face.

--

"Jason!" Thalia yelled through the Iris Message.  Jason was busy making out with Piper at the time. "Oh my Gods, JASON!" They pulled apart abruptly, and Thalia saw a tinge of pink on Piper's cheeks.

Jason scrunched his eyebrows together in annoyance.  "What Thalia?"

"Did Zeus talk to you yet?" She urgently asked.

"Uh," Jason scratched his hair while Piper wandered away.  "What do you mean by yet?"

"He hasn't told you yet," Thalia concluded.  "Look I'm not telling you anything, you need to go up to Olympus right now."  Saying that, she vanished through the air.  

--