Chapter 28 - An Irresistible Challenge (Day 6)

Lara happily splashed around. Finally, she was in her own element. The desert only wore her out, but the water brought her back to life. 

She laughed as she enjoyed herself. Nothing could get in her way. Days had passed where her fellow tributes hadn't even encountered her. Lara had been safe for too long. 

A shining, silvery package flew down by way of parachute, landing softly beside her. Lara eagerly tore it open to see something she had not expected: ear muffs?

"What the Hades?" she muttered under her breath. Lara stuffed it back inside and pushed it away. Even if it started snowing, Lara had no intention of using any gift from her father or any other God that favored her. Her only intentions were making out alive on her own account, she didn't need any help for that.

About half an hour later, a beautiful song perked Lara's ears. It drew her in with a pull as irresistible as cheese was to a mouse. 

Lara frantically paddled until the sound grew more and more faint until it faded out completely. The daughter of Neptune fell back, confused and disoriented. 

It was in that moment that Edward decided to strike and take the revenge he had been waiting for. After Lara was killed, Edward could take on his strongest enemy. He planned on winning the Demigod Games by murdering one of the strongest demigods on the face of the earth, perhaps even more powerful than Lara. Edward smiled maliciously as he imagined snapping both of their necks, ending their lives. 

Since Clarisse had already died, Edward knew he was Mars' only hope in the games. At long last, Edward felt victory was already in his hands.

--

Annabeth pulled Percy with her under the water, recognizing the sound instantly. Percy created a bubble around them, allowing them both to breathe. "Oh my gods, where are Hestia and Aelia?"

Percy temporarily popped above the surface, diving back down before he could hear anything. "They must have taken off," he concluded. "What's up there?"

"I've heard something like that before but now...it's different," Annabeth pondered, tapping her chin. "Hestia said it was something we could not resist and that can only mean one thing." Her face paled. "The sirens."

A lump formed in Percy's throat. He remembered when he was thirteen that he allowed Annabeth to listen to their calls while on a quest. It was nearly impossible to restrain her. He was determined not to even let Annabeth be at risk once more. "We have to stay underwater until they go away," he said.

Annabeth shook her head. "But what about Hestia and Aelia? We can't just leave them here!" 

Percy brushed a piece of blonde hair away from her eyes. After six, long and harsh days in the arena, Annabeth's once princess-like hair was disheveled with pieces of dirt and sand laced into it. Her face was covered in small cuts and bruises, her skin partially burned from the scorching sun. His hand cradled her cheek, bringing warmth into her body. "Hestia's a Goddess," Percy sighed. "It's not like Zeus can lock her up in hell," he bit his lip. "And Aelia...she's a nice girl and all but I don't think we can save her without killing ourselves in the process."

Annabeth looked away, not wanting to accept that as the truth. "That wouldn't have stopped us before," she said bluntly. 

"I know," Percy agreed. "But this isn't like before. This is so much worse than anything we've ever dealt with."

"Percy," Annabeth took one his hands into her own. "This is everything we've ever dealt with but our enemies are the only thing that has changed. Here, our worst enemies are the people most like us. And I feared that we would change into blood thirsty savages, and I guess we kinda have. We're not ourselves anymore."