Instantly I was on the floor coughing and spluttering, the water had felt like acid going down. Caroline and Jeremy ran to me. I couldn't take my eyes of the glass, now lying on its side on the ground, a trickle of water still inside it. My memory flitted back to when I left Nik's house, after finding out the truth about my parents death.

I had driven straight home and called an emergency council meeting, all except Carol and Liz. When the other members arrived they were confused at first as to why I hadn't included the sheriff or mayor. I explained that I had come across some information that Liz and Carol knew more than they were letting the council know. I didn't tell them what though, I just couldn't bring myself to turn on Caroline and Tyler. I told the council that Damon Salvatore was a person of interest, that vampires had indeed found a way to walk in the sun and that there were a lot more vampires in Mystic Falls than anyone realised. It took a hell of a lot of convincing but in the end I had them on my side, and convinced them that we should pool our vervain resources and dump it in the town water supply.

I looked up at Caroline and Jeremy.

"I'm sorry, the town council was being run by the vampire that killed my parents. I had to do something."

Caroline didn't say anything at first, but Jeremy knelt down in front of me, "Jen, you didn't do anything wrong. You put the welfare of this town first. That's what the council is supposed to be doing."

I looked past him to my oldest friend as she spoke, "He's right Jenni. Don't worry, we'll sort this out. For now, I'm sorry, but we will have to go to the only house in town with its own water supply."

I nodded, then told Jeremy to get away from me. He looked hurt until I pointed at his hand. The cut he had used to help me transition was still open and especially after the vervain I wanted nothing more than to drain him dry. He nodded in understanding and went to wait by the car while I threw some stuff in a bag. Caroline was silent as I packed, eventually I couldn't take anymore. Without turning to her, I spoke, my voice low and quiet.

"Did I make a mistake Care? What if I... what if I kill someone. I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

Caroline picked up my bag, "Jennifer, you just turned and then drank vervain... yet you still had the self control to tell Jeremy to move away from you. I think you'll be just fine. Besides, I won't let you."

Smiling tentatively at her I gave myself a mental shake and followed her to the car. Jeremy eyed me warily and put his hand in his pocket, like that would help. Caroline climbed into the driver's seat and I climbed in beside her leaving Jeremy to get in the back.

I thought it would help if he was behind me, but of course it didn't as Caroline drove I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing and not in the fact that I wanted to jump in the back seat, pull Jeremy's head back and sink my teeth into his neck so his warm blood.......

"We're here!" Caroline's voice pulled me back to reality, I nearly took the car door off its hinges as I threw myself from the car. Jeremy climbed out after me, concern on his face. I put my hands up in front of me.

"Please... stay away... I can't control..."

Caroline threw her keys to Jeremy. "Look Jer, you go home. I'll make sure she's ok."

Jeremy took one look at me and then got back in the car and drove off. I felt like I could breathe again, which I had to admit I found kind of funny, did I even need to breathe anymore? I started to smile at Caroline but it immediately turned to a frown when I realised where she had brought me.

"Seriously? You brought me to the fucking Salvatore's?" I growled at her.

She looked a bit sheepish as she shrugged and answered me, "Hey, you got them to dump vervain in the water and this is the only place I know with its own water supply."

She turned from me and walked to the front door pushing it open, she paused to look over her shoulder to look at me. She could see I was deciding what to do.

"Also, they have a fridge full of blood bags." She added before disappearing into the house. At the mention of blood I could feel the itch at the back of my throat.

God damn it. I could man up, go in there and get blood bags. Or I could leave and accidently kill someone. Holding my head high I walked in and shut the door behind me. I followed the voices to the library where Elena and Stefan where sitting on the sofa to the left of the fireplace, Caroline was sitting on the sofa facing them and Damon was standing in front of the fire.

Ignoring him I went and sat beside Caroline who handed me a blood bag. I didn't spare a thought for anyone there as I ripped into the bag. In a few seconds I had finished it and finally the itch was gone. Don't get me wrong. I still had blood on my mind but I didn't actually feel hungry. I looked at Caroline gratefully and she pointed at the side of her mouth. At first I didn't know what she was doing, and then it hit me. I wiped my own mouth with the back of my hand wiping away the few drops of blood left there.

"Jennifer..."

I turned at Elena's voice, she looked uncertain. I offered up a small smile, "Hey 'Lena." I said softly. I knew she would understand that using her pet name meant I wasn't mad at her. She ran across the room and threw her arms around me.

"Oh Jenni, I'm so sorry this happened to you, and I'm sorry that we kept the truth from you." She gushed.

Elena took my left hand and slipped a ring on the middle finger. It was a simple silver band with a blue stone embedded in the front of it. As simple as it was I thought it was beautiful, I looked at Elena, my eyebrows raised in question. 

"It's a daylight ring. Bonnie spelled it just in case you chose this option." She explained. I felt a tear in my eye and I hugged her again tightly, only letting go when I heard her say 'ow'. Stefan chuckled, "Yeah, you have to remember your strength now."

I looked over to him, his face grew serious, "I also am very sorry for everything that has befallen you. But from everything I have heard about you I really hope we can be friends."

I nodded shyly at him, then remembering my manners, "Caroline told me that this house has its own water supply. So if it wouldn't be too much trouble or an inconvenience would it be ok for me to stay here a while until I sort this all out?" I asked.

"Of course you can stay here, for as long as you want."

The answer didn't come from Stefan. Damon had stepped towards me. For the first time since entering the house I looked directly at him. He looked so... tired. I paused for a second before speaking to him.

"You killed my parents Damon, then you killed me. Considering the fact that since I turned the main thought running through my mind is blood, a part of me... a small part mind you... can understand it. It does not mean I forgive you, I honestly don't know if I ever could. I just know that right now I don't hate you or want to kill you. Let's leave it at that for now."

In response he held out a glass of whiskey to me. I took it and lowered it. It became awkward very quickly as we all sat in silence and Caroline being Caroline decided to intervene. She stood up with a wide smile on her face. 

"Well as much fun as this is..." she paused as she looked around at us all, then her gaze stopped at me, "... I think I should show Jennifer to the bedrooms."