"So it could be Luke or something?"

"Right, it could be Luke, or Cameron, Chase, or Chris."

"Right, okay. Oh- wait." They pull out their phone and open the notes app.

'I doubt it, but she might be listening somehow. I saw this on some crime show. Pull out your phone casually and we'll type like this to each other.'

I do as they say and bend over my phone, as if in deep concentration. Really, I'm trying to hide from any possible cameras.

'I'm so scared. What do we do?'

'First, we need to ask the boys if they know anything about this. Then we immediately take this to the police. I'm going to go talk to them right now, okay? Delete this conversation and then I want you to look at your phone. Sigh and tell me your mom wants to talk to you and ask me for some privacy for a second. If she thinks your on the phone with someone, she'll leave you alone. I'll go and quietly ask the boys. I'll be back as soon as I can.'

I'm so scared I want to cry, but I follow their orders and delete the conversation with a sigh.

"Is something wrong, Nessa?" Emmie looks at me in concern. I have to give them an A plus for acting skills.

"Nothing's wrong, but my mom keeps bothering me to call her. I'm betting she wants to nag me some more about my stupid life decisions." I force a laugh that sounds more like a dying walrus.
"Would you mind giving me some privacy? She tends to talk pretty loudly and I don't want you to have to hear her gushing about Chris Hemsworth."

Emmie nods. No, please don't leave me alone!

They walk out the door and close it behind them.

"Heyyyy, mom." I pause as if listening to her response, which would no doubt be 'are you drunk?'

"No, I'm not drunk. You wanted me to call you, remember?"

'Oh, right. I think we need to talk.'

"About what? Is everything okay?"

'Everything's great. I just finished watching Thor with your father. Chris Hemsworth is something else, I'll tell you that. Taylor Swift chose the wrong son of Odin.'

I smile, calmed by my mom's imaginary voice. Gosh, I'm going insane.

"One, Rob has not earned the title 'father' yet. Two, we're straying from the subject. What did you want to tell me?"

'Well, I guess I just wanted to tell you I love you and miss you very much.'

"What?"

'I know I don't say enough, baby, but I do love you with all my heart. Remember that song I used to sing to you? I Hope You Dance?'

I nod and let tears stream down my face. "Yes. I remember."

"Well, honey, are you dancing?"

"I'm trying, mama, I'm trying. You have no idea how much I miss you."

'I know, honey. I know. I'm sorry I haven't been there for you lately. Rob sends his love, too. I know it doesn't seem like it, honey, but he really does care about you. He's just nervous to make a mistake around you. He's never had a child before, and now all of a sudden he has a grown child to love. He's not very good at love, baby. It took a long time for me to teach him, but he's learning. I'm learning, too. I can't wait to see you in a few weeks.'