«16»

Yuu's head was the last part of his body to collide with the tiled floor.

Watching him fall... Yuichiro - the tiny little sprout of affection he once was in Mika's world bloomed ever so broad in his heart in that second. Yuu took over his mentality, his traumatic screams and cries of every horrible emotion there was nearly making Mika drop to his knees.

The blond could hear himself shouting in his head, but nothing externally could be emitted. Subconsciously, however, he responded to the sound of Sullivan's gun click behind him, instantly ducking his head off to the side as the bullet whiffed past him.

His ears rang, sharp and aching with the intensity of the sound waves. Loose strands of golden hair whipped in the air the bullet tore through, finding a home right between the eyes of the schoolboy who caused a massacre that day. His head whipped back, the sound of his skull breaking announcing he was dead.

The shooter's body dropped to the ground without hesitation or a twitch, spirit fled from the body. Mika's sapphire eyes blazing with rage locked on Yuu's helpless body once it was visible. He deciphered him paralyzed in shock on the ground... Crying.

And crying... And dear God, just crying.

I can hear myself... I can hear myself crying... Just like that... When my dad died...

Finally, he felt able to react.

Yuu heaved on the floor, attempting to drag himself away but to no avail. He only bled out more, a trail leaving him.

"Mika," he sobbed, clutching the thigh that felt enflamed. Hot blood drenched his hand, tears streaming down his face. "Mika!"

The blond whimpered, and ran as fast as his body would let him, that aching bellow of pain finally escaping his throat.

He dropped to the ground right beside the younger boy wincing on the bloody floor who blindly reached out for his assistance. The blond panicked as he took Yuu onto his lap, pulling him in close.

The smaller boy's throat tore with a cry at the sudden movement, clutching over the bullet wound.

"No no no, no let go," Mika rushed, wanting to plug his own ears shut. His heart and mind were splitting in agony the longer he heard his ever so gentle friend in distress. He clutched Yuu's small bloody hand, the sight making him lose it. He cried sharply, picking up the injured boy.

Before he walked off, he heard Saint's voice break, the small boy stammering backward.

Mika ever so slowly, glared down at Saint. He didn't even have to say anything. Everything wrong with the situation was screaming at him just with the look. He was being whipped with that look - beaten, punched, choked. The gray-eyed boy stared back up petrified, chest rising and falling as he looked at his injured friend in the arms of the boy who looked as if he wanted to kill him. He took steps back, tears stinging in his eyes.

"I'm... I..."

Saint was a fool to think he was going to gain the thinnest wisp of trust from him ever again.

Mika quickly looked back down the hall as he heard footsteps racing on the floor above. "Sully!" he screamed out of a plea for help for his own sanity. He raced up to him, stuffing his gun in his back pocket.