«8»

The sound of a whistle ripped through the cool air in the sports field, a mixed assembly of boys and girls approaching the twenty yard line.

The coach stood horrifically in white shorts far too suffocating for his manhood, and his yellow cap glowing far too bright on the autumn day.

"Everybody go grab a football. Partner up and practice your catching and receiving. In ten we'll head back in. It's hot as hell out here," the coach muttered, signaling another whistle to go get the footballs.

Yuu was pretty slow on a daily basis, but he was smart enough not to dive into that bag being molested by the other teenagers. He'd take whatever was left at the bottom.

After picking out the least destroyed one from the rations, he turned around in hopes to find a partner wandering just as he was. Too late. Kids were already practicing their tosses, chatting amongst themselves and complaining about the heat.

He looked down at his ball, fiddling with the strings. He made his way to the end field and sat in the grass, tossing it up and down for himself to catch. It was tolerable until it came back down and hit him on the nose. He sighed to himself, picking at the green blades emerging from the soil as he gave up on the activity completely.

"Hut hut!" a deep voice suddenly called out, Yuu's head spinning in the direction of the sound. He was alarmed to see a ball whiff directly pass his face and skim his cheek, his eyes widening as he realized who had tossed it. The blond chuckled, jogging up to him. "You were supposed to catch it."

"Oh," the green-eyed boy stammered, leaning over to hand the taller male the ball back. "Here you go."

Then he continued picking at the grass. Awkwardness thickened in the air like humidity. Mika stared at him with pure apathy.

"C'mon, throw with me before coach yells at us."

Yuu blushed, looking back up at the blue-eyed boy. He still wore some kind of tight fitting top to cover his tattoos, his hair pulled back. He could only wonder how he was not dying in the searing heat.

"Oh, you actually want to play with me?"

Mika nodded, extending a hand. Yuu just stared at it for a moment, swallowing hard. Then he accepted it, alarmed at how he was practically picked to his feet as if he weighed nothing.

First he's worth nothing and then the next he weighs nothing... It was a nonstop cycle of worthlessness.

He nervously chewed his lip, putting some distance between him and the blond. Considering how strong he was, he was petrified to receive one of his catches. It'd probably go straight through his chest like a bullet.

Luckily, he wasn't the only one who acknowledged this fact as Mika threw gently to him, Yuu's small hands just barely catching the toy. He readjusted it in his tiny palms, looking back up at Mika to aim.

He sucked. Plain and simple. The ball curved down to the ground, puffing up a confetti of grass.

Mika chuckled, picking up the ball that plummeted in the dirt by his feet.

"Sorry," Yuu croaked out, scratching his arm.

Of all games to play... He thought.

"Nothing to be sorry about," Mika appeased, approaching the boy. Yuu was already shifting in his shoes as he came closer. "Look... I'll show you how to hold it."

He gave the smaller boy the ball, adjusting his fingers correctly on the thick lacing. His short digits could just barely make it compared to Mika's perfectly sculpted hands.