Chapter Eight

Today was Violet's melee, or close ranged, weapon training today.

"We will be learning all about melee combat; you can either do it in air or on ground," Zala explained, getting a few varities of weapons for practice.

"But I can't fly like you..." Violet muttered, frowning.

"Oh, right...forgot about that," Zala murmured, turning around holding out a sword for her to use. "We'll first work on defending with a sword, after that we will try offense. Don't worry if you hit me; before you got here, I got a sorcerer to make a little shield around the blade. It bounces off of the person when in contact."

"Good; I won't have to worry about hitting anybody," Violet muttered, taking the sword. She gasped as the sword fell from her hands. She frowned, looking down at it and tried to pick it up, but to no avail. She looked Zala for help. "Um..."

Zala huffed in annoyance, "well, here is another thing we have to train you; strength," she said, earning a glare from Violet.

"Just help me pick this thing up!"

"It's called a sword. No intelligence on simple things like sword either? Tsk..." Zala shook her head in shame, though she using a bit of sarcasm. She went over and picked it up easily, carrying it to the rack of weapons. "Where are those daggers that you chose two days ago?" She asked, looking at her.

"There on my belt like they were the entire time," said Violet, pointing down to her utility belt where the duel daggers hung from. She got them out and showed them to her.

Zala nodded, "we'll have to train you on using those since you can handle those easily. However, you need to be careful because those aren't enchanted to not cause harm," she said, "so in the offense stances and moves, you're going to have to use the butt or the flat end of the sword."

"Okay..."

"Alright, now go into your defense stance," commanded Zala, whipping out her going into the said defense stance to show her how to get into position. Just as she thought, Violet stumbled as she hopped into position. 'She'll get used to it soon,' she thought.

Violet huffed, "what do I do next?" She asked, shifting from one foot to the other.

"First; stop doing that, it makes you look like an idiot like usual," another glare from Violet, "two; I will try to fight you and attack you as you try to defend yourself against me. I will try to be gentle, okay?"

Violet nodded and raised up her daggers even more as Zala ran at her, raising her dagger up over her head. Violet gave a small squeak and lurched backwards, squatting a little bit as the daggers clashed right over head.

Zala moved back and raised an eyebrow at why she squeaked.

Violet glared at her. "Gentle, my butt!" She snapped.

"You need to learn defense, don't you? You mustn't show fear to your opponent. Soon enough, you will get used to everything."

"Fine..." Violet whined, complaining before getting back into her defense stance.

Zala nodded and got into stance. She started running at her and slicing at her as Violet began defending herself.

Her defense session was over, Violet now panting and sitting on the wooden bench, drinking the water from her canteen. She looked over at Zala who was sitting beside her, drinking water as well and seeming like she didn't do anything and didn't break a sweat.

Violet raised an eyebrow at her, her breathing finally calming down. "How...how do you not run out of breath?" She asked.

Zala looked at her. "Hm? Oh, I'm used to training and fighting, so I don't really get tired or sweaty," She explained, "now, we shall take a five minute break. You seem like you need to regain yourself and catch you're breath."

Violet nodded and looked down at her canteen. "So, how old is you and Ciel exactly?" She asked, looking at her again and trying to spark up a conversation.

"I'm twenty one and he is sixteen. Quite a big difference, huh?"

"Not really; there are some siblings out there in my universe where they are ten years apart."

"That far apart? That's ridiculous!" Zala exclaimed, looking at her like she was crazy.

"No, it's true!" Violet said, laughing at her reaction.

Zala huffed, frowning and furrowing her eyebrows in confusion. "Whatever... Anyways, what brought the question up all of a sudden?" She asked, tilting her head to the side.

"I was curious... I felt so young because all of you seem like you're in your twenties while I'm only fourteen, but it's good to know that the youngest person I met in this realm is Ciel and he is only two years older. I thought he was as older as you..." She muttered.

Zala nodded, "I guess it is because we look and act mature? However, Ciel does not act mature whatsoever; with him and his jokes. Now, since you seem all fine and dandy, our break is over and we shall resume our training with close ranged combat; offensive this time," she said as she stood and got out her dagger.

Violet groaned in annoyance and stood, putting down her canteen and picking up the silver daggers.

"Hush; it is good to learn offensive," Zala said, leading Violet to the middle of the training area. "Like before, get into a offensive stance. After that, I will run at you and we shall start fighting, trying to land blows on each other. Again, I will be as gentle as possible, as well as you will also try to be as gentle as possible. Remember that those daggers are not enchanted yet so they won't cause harm," she explained, going into a fighting stance.

Violet furrowed her eyebrows a bit, comprehending all of this information as she moved into same stance as Zala's. "Okay, I'm ready," she said.

"One...two...fight!" She yelled, running at her.

They started clashing daggers and occasionally, Violet would land one on Zala, who would take every opportunity to swipe at her when Violet lowered her defense to attack.

At the end of the day, they sat at the dining table, conversing with each other.

"You did pretty good kid; could work on your attacking skills, as well as defense, but your defense was fairly good, but the attack seemed poor. I suggest you train an hour each day of all your basic trainings; you have completed all your basic and main lessons, but practice everyday to master them. The secondary ones will be after your mission since those aren't really necessary."

"What are the secondary trainings?" Violet asked, curious.

"Stealth, cooking, hunting, et cetera," Zala listed off, "now, I'm ready for bed. You should too as tomorrow you will be busy with constant practice," she got up and headed out, going back up to their room.

Violet nodded and followed, getting a bit tired from today.