twenty four

:: 24 :: (yes, I'm back. I usually don't care if you guys read my notes but please read the one I've left at the end of this chapter!)

       We, as humans, take a lot for granted. The entire species has seemingly adapted to never be initially thankful for everything we receive, because we're so used to being handed such things. Things we used every day, things we see every day. People we see every day.

Luke has never thought twice about what he's been given or what he's done to give back. He's spent his whole life around his father, and around his mother, and not once has he ever thought about what things would've been like for him if he'd lost one of his parents—or both of them.

Comparing his own issues to those of others has recently become a problem. And, lately, Michael's life has made Luke re-evaluate so much of his. In such a small window of time, the amount of knowledge Luke has gained about his best friend left him putting together a puzzle he didn't know he was missing the pieces to.

The more he talks to people, the more he gets to know their lives, the more Luke begins to realize that everything he's been so annoyed by his entire life are the things most are missing.

In no way is it healthy to humble your problems for the sole reason that you believe others have it worse than you, and Luke is smart enough to realize that, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do it. All he ever complains about is his life, when in reality, who in their right mind wouldn't want a famous father? Who in the world is fortunate enough to be given such a life as the one Luke has been living? Not many, and for that he has now told himself to be grateful for what he has.

He has definitely taken for granted these pigs he's so happily surrounded by right now. The entirety of I'll Keep You in Mind, From Time to Time playing over Penelope's small speaker—a truly beautiful album, Luke had learned. And a truly beautiful girl had introduced him.

She's always apologizing for talking about music. But it makes her happy, he understands. Anything that makes someone happy is wonderful to hear about, the look in their eyes when it's talked about is something that can't be compared to any of the wonders of the world. Because happiness was a wonder in itself—arguably the greatest of them all.

"Michael and your brother play Friday," Luke reminded her, as they rested their backs against one of three sheds on Penny's farm. "An away game."

Penny frowned almost unnoticeably (had Luke not been staring at her, he probably wouldn't have caught it). "They do."

"You don't look too excited."

"It just," she sighs, "it gets old after a while, y'know? We're always rushing to get to his games, but never to anything that I look forward to."

"I know the feeling," Luke rolled his eyes. "I just have to attend everything my dad does, but the only time we did anything I wanted was this past weekend in New York."

"It sucks being the outlier of the family. Sure, we all agree on this farm, but I'd much rather just sit here with you and listen to music while watching you freak out over the same pigs you've seen three times already."

"These are some quality pigs," Luke admitted in his defense.

"And you're a quality guy," Penny grins.

"Oh, stop, I'm blushing."

"Hey, do you want to help me finish painting the shed? You can reach a bit higher than me." For emphasis, Penny pointed up to an unpainted patch.

And, even though the girl is clearly only a couple of inches shorter, Luke agrees, "As long as we can bring Moose Blood with us."

"I don't go anywhere without them," she said, turning the music only a notch louder.