"Get off my court!" He yelled again, a serious expression on his face. Most students are scared of the coach, making the cheerleaders flinch and leave the court.

I sighed in relief and went back to warming up. What is it about Heather not letting me be with Acacia? Does she feel threatened? She shouldn't be, considering that Acacia has always been and will always be my best friend, nothing more nothing less. I never saw her in a different way, nor have I thought of being with her in a more intimate way. Acacia is beautiful, but she's my best friend and I won't pursue her, or do anything that would risk our friendship.

"Hey," Acacia greeted me as we had our break. "You all right?"

"I'm fine," I gave her a smile. "A little anxious about the game."

"Don't be," she reassured. "Everything will go smoothly. Just stick to the game plan and we're good to go."

Sitting down next to her, I gave her a smile. "Thanks, Acacia, for being with me the whole time I was in basketball. Thank you for all the support."

"Of course, I'm always here when you need me. I'm your best friend, your partner in crime," she grinned. "It's hard to get rid of you anyways."

I scoffed. "Yeah right, you don't have any other friends without me."

"You wish!" She laughed. "More like you wouldn't have friends without me."

"Whatever, just you being here just really means a lot to me," I rolled my eyes. "Let's just hope Stanford will be as great as high school. We'll have so many great memories!"

Acacia smiled faltered. "Daniel, about that—"

"Garrett!" The coach yelled out. I turned to look at him. "Let's go!"

I turned back to Acacia. "I'll see you at the game, and get ready for the victory party!" I grinned before taking off, a sense of happiness washed inside me.

-

Anxiety and excitement washed over me as we got ready in our locker room. I could hear endless chatter from the bleachers and the ushers telling guests where to seat. Peeking outside, I tried to look for my parents— sitting at the front row with my brothers— and tried to find Acacia and her family— they were at the middle rows with his girlfriend but Acacia couldn't be found. She promised to come back as soon as possible, since Lacy and Anne grabbed her during practice to get ready, for what? I wasn't sure.

Cheerleaders and mascots- lobos for us and black saber tooth for the rival team- were setting up near the bleachers, prepping for their half time and trying to show support for their teams. I could even see Heather in a short silver and navy blue uniform. State officials and sports television reporters were setting up, preparing for the live game that will be played around the state. This made me more nervous than my original state, yet I was determined to show my team off and show them the most exciting game in high school basketball history.

The opposing team just came right on time, and I saw the star player talking to the coach, sporting a varsity jacket with their school colors and their initials on the front of it— the school colors were black and gray while ours were silver and navy blue. Finn looked distracted, and I took it as a sign that we're gonna have a great game tonight. If he continues to be like this, for sure we will win the trophy.