Katie and the Tooth Extraction

"Alright boys last one for the day!" I shout, tossing the ball with my left then quickly grip it to the bat with my right hand before swinging.

I smash a ball all the way to Benny in center field. He catches it then throws to his cut. Afterwards we all start to pack up and leave. Benny grabs my hand and intertwines his fingers with mine. I smile as we leave the sandlot. Soon we get home, and I release my grip from Benny's hand.

"Do you wanna hangout later?" Benny asks.

"Can't, I have to get teeth taken out."

Benny chuckles before asking, "seriously, like wisdom teeth or something?"

"No, it's two permanent teeth that need to be removed because- well it's a long boring story."

"Ha alright-

"Katie?" Aunt Cindy runs out of the door while putting shoes on looking like she's trying to get her life together.

"Your dad had to work today without a days' notice and I have to go to see a friend who isn't feeling well."

"What about the dentist?"

"I can still take you but the problem is that I won't be back home until it gets very late. It only takes twenty minutes to walk home from the dentist thank goodness so I want a friend and your brother to come so that you don't walk back alone."

"Okay? You wanna come?" I look at Benny.

"Sure, lemme go tell my mom first." Benny runs across the street and Scotty and I get in the car.

Benny soon comes back and we head to the dentist.

"Are you scared?" Scotty teases.

"No, I'll be asleep the whole time." I say back.

"Now speaking of that Katie, you're going to be on laughing gas so on the way back home the boys are going to push you back home in a wheelchair."

"Where are we getting a wheelchair from?" I ask.

"Well the dentist is right next to the chiropractor so I asked if we could rent one for the day and it will be in the dentist right after the procedure."

"Haha, I get to push you in a wheelchair." Scotty evilly laughs.

"No Benny is. Actually I don't trust either of you."

"Hey! I would never do that." Benny says defensively.

"Mhm." I roll my eyes.

"Alright kids we're here."

We all open the doors and hop out. Aunt Cindy hands me a check before I go inside.

When I step in the office I suddenly get this odd feeling in my gut and my heart stars to thump faster and faster.

"You alright, Mrs. I'm-not-afraid-of-anything?" Benny smiles.

"Perfect." I say back with a smile.

I check in and walk to a chair next to Benny.

"And just to let you know, you're gonna tell me anything I want to know." Benny says before I sit in the chair.

I stop, stand up, then face him.

"What?"

"I can ask you any question I want, and you'll give me most truthful answer."

"No I won't." My eyebrows lower.

"Yes you will." He smirks.

"Katie?" I look at the lady calling my name.

"We're ready for you now." I smile and nod before turning back to Benny.

"Fine. Try me." I say before jerking around, walking towards the lady.

She leads me to a small room with one chair and lots of weird equipment. I sit in the chair and wait, but soon enough I hear the door open from behind me.

"Hello Katie."

"Hello Dr. Glen."

"Now I want to make this procedure as quick as possible, so we'll start right away, how does that sound?"

"Great."

"Perfect."

Dr. Glen gets his assistants to hand him a rubber band and a syringe. He wraps the band around my arm and hands me a stress ball. After giving me a shot he asks me to squeeze the ball as hard as I can.

"Now I will be placing this mask over your face." He places the mask gently over my nose and mouth.

Soon my eyelids begin to feel heavy and my hand feels weaker.

"Keep squeezing that ball."

And I try but feel too weak. Before closing my eyes for the last time, I realize I will answer Benny's every question.

Great.