Chapter 14

Listen to the song while reading the chapter. Trust me! XD
Fore-warning: there's a fair amount of swearing in this one. Just so you know.
Oh and the early update is because WE REACHED 250 VOTES!!! *FIREWORKS ERUPT*

Aaaand this chapter is dedicated to Queen0fHell for supporting this story and being a lovely person! I Love you!! ❤❤❤
___________________________________________

Breathing laboured and heartbeat racing, my finger hovered over the play button. I had been in this same position since the last twenty minutes; the tip of my finger barely scraping the screen, floating just above the glass but never quite touching it. I think I might have even made a new record for holding in one's breath, since I don't remember the last time I actually exhaled the foul dread-filled air inside my lungs which was slowly poisoning me from inside out.

I gulped, squeezed my eyes shut and finally let out the breath I had been holding in, in a long, painful exhale.

Time had come to a stop around me.

Pressing play, I tightly held the phone against my ear.

Voicemail of 1st May' 2015

03:11 a.m.

"I'm not drunk. Let's just clear that out before I start.

"I had been drunk previously; I had to get myself drunk to drown the pain shooting through every single fibre of my body, the pain caused by you. But we'll get to that later."

Coming at me like a sucker punch, the bitterness in his tone knocked me back.

"What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you? What am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're okay? I'm falling to pieces!"

He screeched out in a raspy voice - though I was sure of his talented singing because of his generally melodious voice, I knew that then he was doing this to purposefully hurt me, verbally and emotionally.

"Fucking stupid song really knows how to convey feelings, doesn't it? Do you know how many times I've listened to this in the past two hours?

"It's okay if you don't, I don't know the answer to that either, but my best guess would be uncountable times. See the thing is that I'm fucking breaking apart right now and I'm this close to just being done with all of this once and for all, and this stupid idiotic song is the only thing still rooting me here."

He laughed a devious laugh, so completely venomous and hurtful that I gasped in horror.

"So yeah, I've had the bloody thing playing on loop for some time now.

"Now would you want to know why I feel this way, Ems? Why I need a song to stop me from doing what I actually want to be doing right now?"

Seconds ticked by, his silence melting my bones and making my whole body feel wobbly. I was almost about to throw the phone at the nearest wall to break it by the time his voice came across the speaker again.

"You, Ems; you are the reason behind this."

And just like that, my last wall of defence broke down to dust. His words twisted around my heart, squeezing it and drawing out blood as they wrapped around my heart with their thorny vines.

"Turned out that the tosser from yesterday was a friend of your friend, and then soon he asked you out. And you said yes, Ems; right when your husband was sitting a metre away, staring at you with wide glossy eyes."