Chapter Three

After Tas left, but making me promise to not shut him out like that again before he did, I was laid back on my bed, thinking. I knew what I had to do, but how I would go about it was what I was still unsure on. I had lain there, contemplating, for almost an hour when it finally hit me. Calling my two servants, the twins Andirsa and Asridna, I quickly devised my plan. Two quiet knocks announced the twins' arrival. "Come in, quickly." I opened the door, pulling them inside.

"What do you need, milady?" They smirked at me, knowing I hate being called by any sort of title. "Cut it out, Andi. You know how I hate formalities. We're friends." I stuck my tongue out at her. "But of course." Asridna curtsied, and they began laughing. I tried to keep my face angry and hateful, but eventually I joined in. Andirsa and Asridna were my other two best friends. With them being my age and being my personal maids, we were allowed to grow up and play together. We got in all sorts of trouble when we were younger.

"Hey Emseria?" I was pulled out of Memory Lane when Asridna spoke. "Yeah?" I asked. "Are you doing okay? With everything that's happened, you just haven't seemed well, but you haven't called us either. We were worried about you." As frowned slightly at me. "Yeah, what the heck, Ems? We know it's hard, but you threw us away! We want to be there for you. We want to support you and help you feel better!" Andi's face scrunched up angrily.

I sighed, knowing I owed them some sort of explanation. "It's just... it didn't fully register in my mind until a week had passed. I was kind of just going through the motions while my mind wasn't there. I was numb. I didn't realize how I was acting was affecting you guys either. Tas helped me see that earlier. So, I'm sorry, guys. Could you forgive me?" Tears formed in my eyes, and I looked at them hopefully.

"You're an idiot." Andi smiled through her own tears. "Of course we forgive you. How you could think otherwise? We love you, Emseria. We just want to be able to help you." As let out a laugh as they both hugged me. "Thanks guys." I smiled and hugged them back.

After a few minutes, I pulled away. "What do you say about one more scheme, just like when we were kids?" I asked, already liking the devious glint in their eyes. "What's the plan?" And just like that, they were in. I quickly explained my idea and although neither liked the thought of me entering battle, their love for disguises and games wouldn't let them say no. "Alright, but promise if you get hurt, you will return home." Asridna gave me a pointed look. Sighing, I begrudgingly agreed.

"Alright, then we'll scrounge up a disguise for you. Meanwhile, you need to get a sword, not your own, to compete with in that competition to enter the army." Quickly, the twins left, their skirts flying. I knew they were right. People could recognize my personal sword. My uncle had it specially made for me after I had trained with him for a bit. The moment he gave it to me, I loved it. It was lightweight and engraved with beautiful floral patterns along its length. It wasn't meant to be actually used much in battle, but I still loved it all the same. He also presented me with a more modest sword that was meant for fighting.

Without wasting any more time, I scurried down the stairs and around to the side of the castle where the royal armory was located. Tossing a pebble down the opposite path I was on, I successfully distracted the guards, allowing me to slip inside. My eyes widened at the sight of weapons lying around here. Apparently, some new, beautiful swords and daggers had been added.

I quickly scanned for a simple broadsword that would not garner much attention and wouldn't be missed. The best I could find was a simple blade, leather hilt with a small cross engraved just above that on the beginning of the sword. I pulled it out of its sheath and lifted it, surprised when I found it to be very light. I had expected it to be much heavier. I sheathed it and hid it beneath my skirts, rapidly approaching the door to leave. I pressed my ear to the door and hearing nothing, I opened it carefully slow. I peeked out and sighed in relief when I saw the guards still missing.

Running, I made it back to my room in record time. I swung the door open, revealing the twins, who had beaten me back. They looked at me, confused. "Where's the sword?" Andi's brow furrowed. I lifted my skirts and pulled the sword loose. "I couldn't just be seen running around with a sword, now could I?" I laughed at their bewildered expressions, but they eventually nodded and laughed.

"I have a simple green tunic and a pair of brown trousers for you. At least the tunic will bring out the color of your eyes. I swear, those green gems of yours are to die for! Oh, right. As has your socks, brown boots, and a brown cap for you." When Andi saw my confused look, she sighed. "If you run around with your long hair, someone will notice. Cutting is also not an option since everyone would notice that as well. So I figured you could put your hair up and hide it under this cap." As shrugged and I smiled at her brilliance.

"Thank you both for what you've done." I hugged them close. "Not a problem. Just do us a favor and come back. We don't want out friend dying on the battlefield. We're also just glad to have you back in general. We understand your need to mourn, but we're your friends so please don't shut us out. Let us help you through it if you find yourself feeling that way again, okay?" I nodded and they left, closing the door behind them.

I hid the clothes beneath my bed, along with the sword. Surely, no one would find them. Happier than I had been in a long time, I strolled into the dining hall for dinner, sitting beside my mother.

---------------

Here's another chapter! I hope you all have enjoyed the story so far. Emseria is still dealing with her struggle of her uncle's death, but her memories of him help, reminding her of the good times! I hope you all will keep reading and follow Emseria's tale as she grows as a person and princess. Thank you and vote and comment as you wish!

<3 Azalea Rose