Chapter Two

The next morning during breakfast, my Mother brought it up again. "So, what was it that you wanted to ask a week ago? I would've asked sooner, but I think we both know we were very out-of-it." She glanced up from her plate and gave me a small smile. Oh gosh, uh, what do I say? It's too early to ask! I panicked.

"Ah, I was going to ask you, um, what you think I should paint next?" My mother gave me a funny look but responded anyways, "Paint a turtle. They've always been my favorite animal." Yep, she doesn't believe me. What kind of question was that? I mentally face-palmed. We finished our breakfast in awkward silence. The only things that broke it were the scrapes of our forks every now and then.

*One week later*

My mother considered the request for a moment, perched on her high throne. "I need more time to think about this. Come again in one week, and I shall have decided by then. You have been dismissed." She nodded towards the man, who scurried out of the throne room. As soon as the man left, I looked over at my mother. His death still weighed on her shoulders, even after two weeks had passed. I couldn't say much different for myself, as I had been avoiding everyone, even my best friend, Tas.

"Are you going to be alright, Mother?" I asked her, the sadness flashing once in her eyes before disappearing once again. If I hadn't been watching for it, I wouldn't have noticed. "Yes Emseria, I think I will survive. I only wish I could talk to him once more. There's so much I wish to say." Her eyes shone a little, but she held her tears in. My mother was much stronger than I, for I still succumbed to tears many times, a few times in front of some servants. "As do I, Mother. As do I." I rose, rushing from the room to keep everyone from seeing my tears.

I walked to my room blindly, not noticing anything from within my cloud of despair. Honestly, I can't remember if I saw anyone along the way. I sat on my bed, staring through tear-filled eyes at the painting my uncle had done on my wall. His brush had brought to life a knight in shining armor riding a horse across a field to a castle in the distance. If I tried hard enough, I could still hear my uncle making horse noises as he painted the steed, just to entertain and humor the four year old me. At that, a ghost of a smile touched my lips, but only for a second.

A loud knock made me jump and nearly fall off my bed. "Yes?" My voice squeaked, betraying how startled I was. "Ems, are you alright? You've been acting like a ghost these past weeks, so much that I haven't seen you. And when I finally see you again, you didn't respond. You were staring at the floor and ignored my calls. I could practically feel your anguish rolling off you in waves. Will you let me in please?" I heard the voice of my life long best friend, Tasnik, sound from the other side of door.

"I'm okay. It's just that my uncle's death is still hard. I'll be fine." I pulled in a deep breath. I finally said it out loud. "No, you're not okay, and you won't be fine until you let your friends be there for you. Stop shutting us out, and let us be your rock." He shouted. "Just leave me alone, I'll be fine eventually. I hope..." I whispered the last part to myself. "Hell no, I am not leaving. If you don't open this door, then I will force it open, Ems. Your choice here." There's no way he'd actually do that, right? "Last chance, Ems." I hoped he would have more sense than to break my door down.

Nothing shocked me more than when my door burst in with a loud crash causing me to scream and fall off my bed. I raised my eyes up to see a furious looking Tasnik glaring down at me. I took in the very sight of him. He's right. I haven't seen him in a while. It looks like he's gotten more muscle. He now stood at what I assumed to be 6'4". His brown hair reached the tips of his ears on the sides and fell right above his deep blue eyes in the front. In my kingdom, he was very attractive. In fact, he was probably the most attractive guy in the kingdom.

Every girl would constantly throw themselves at Tas, just hoping they'd be the girl he picked to have a relationship with, yet he never dated any of them. When I quizzed him, he shrugged and said it was because he liked someone. However, no matter how hard I tried, he would never tell me who. Eventually I gave up, but that didn't stop me from making up random descriptions of his wonder woman.

He sighed, the frustration leaving his face, and he bent over, picked me up, and placed me back on my bed. He quickly followed, sitting beside me to the point that our knees were touching. He pulled me to him with his big arms, encasing me with a warm hug. I cried, just realizing how much I missed Tas and how much I really did need my friends. "It'll all be okay, Ems. I'll be here for you, forever." He whispered to me, and I loved him for it. He kissed the top of my head. "Do you promise?" A few tears escaped my eyes as I wished his words were true. "I promise, Ems." He said, making me sigh in relief.

We sat there like that for a while, him holding me in his arms. It was true; I had missed his comfort this whole week, just because I told myself I didn't want to see anyone. I could've been comforted and feeling better, but I had kept that away from myself. I was grateful for a friend like Tasnik. He made me feel as if the world would eventually be alright again, as long as we were side by side. Whoever married him would be one lucky woman.

Tas pulled back and wiped my tears away. "Gosh, Ems. Even with those tears, your green eyes just become more beautiful. Don't worry, you're going to be okay. You'll get through this, and I'll be right there to help you along the way." He kissed the top of my head again. "Thanks Tas, you always know what to say." He smiled at me and pulled me into a hug again.

--------------------

Thank you for reading this chapter, and I hope you're enjoying the story so far! Please vote and comment if you'd like! 

<3 Azalea Rose