Chapter One

It was morning, and I stayed outside the dining hall for breakfast. It was bright and sunny, contrary to my feelings inside. I was nervous. Down the hall, many elegant side tables rested against the walls. Large windows allowed light to shine in through the tapestries. The light splayed across the paintings and draperies decorating the halls.

However, even surrounded by all these impressive and imperial things, I stood there contemplating. How could I bring it up during breakfast? Should I could catch her when she was distracted so she didn't know what she was agreeing to? Should I get her advisers to help me? In my heart, I knew nothing would worked. Great, I thought. There is only one way to do this. Here goes nothing.

I pushed open the doors to the dining hall and glided in. I sat myself beside my mother, as she preferred it this way in the mornings. She had barely glanced up at me when I had walked in, something obviously distracted her mind. "Mother, I have something I'd like to ask you." When she didn't acknowledge me, I leaned towards her and waved my hand in her face. "Mother?" She jumped and looked at me.

Tears glistened in her eyes but I didn't know why. "Yes?" She sounded confused. "I have something I wish to ask you, if that's alright?" My brows furrowed, as for once, I could see every emotion that crossed her face. "Yes, that is quite alright. I also have some, uh, news." Silence came over us both, neither wanting to start. What did she have to say? Is this what is making her cry? I decided I would wait patiently for her to speak first. Fortunately, I didn't have to wait long.

"Emseria?" I looked up at her when she called my name, and my eyes widened as I realized she was crying. "Yes, Mother?" There was no telling what she was about to say, only that it was obviously very terrible to have her, the Queen, showing any weak emotions. "I don't know how to say this, so I am just going to say it." She breathed in sharply. "My brother, your uncle, died a few days ago, and his body was just returned to the castle this morning." Shock hit me full force, numb to my mother's sobs beside me.

Uncle Seric is gone? No, that's impossible; he's the best fighter I know. He taught me everything I know. I refused to believe my uncle was dead. "How?" The words fell from my lips. My mother sniffled a few more times before she was able to respond to me. "He was fighting in battle when the Dark Knight came from behind and killed him." Her tears finally fell and poured down her face, mirroring my own pain.

I lifted my hand to my face only to pull it back wet. My mother then proceeded to cry hysterically while I rubbed her back, unsure what to do. My mother was strong, the perfect queen. Her emotions were always hidden deep, her face a constant mask, except when she was with me and my uncle. She would smile and laugh, yet I don't think I had ever seen her cry before.

She didn't cry when my father had died and left her to run the throne alone, although her brother was there for her. She didn't cry when her parents died, she just threw herself into her queen business, caring for the kingdom and all. However, she cried when her brother died, but then again, he was her twin.

They were identical twins, playing together since they were babies. They would often complete each other's sentences and they would have conversations with just their eyes alone. Then, when I was born, my uncle loved me. He spoiled me to no end, carrying me everywhere in the castle up on his shoulders. I adored him, and his death was and would forever hit us hard.

The news of his death, the way Mother said it, kept echoing in my mind. Your uncle died a few days ago. The Dark Knight killed him. Over and over, her announcement taunted me. I remained numb, a cold weight settling in my chest. We sat there for a while then, her sniffles and occasional cry the only sounds.