Lucien - 18

Lucien wasn't sure if what he felt was a feeling of homecoming or simply amazement. The town was nothing but a small stop just beyond the borders of Ignisia yet it was exhilarating to even look at.

Vajeel's book had been right about everything, at least in a descriptive stand point. The buildings were massive and from far away, Lucien could see how they all but dwarfed the human forms walking in and out of them. Wooden huts and stone creations were built four times larger than buildings in Artus and for good reason too. Some dragons still had to duck slightly to step inside the huge entrance ways.

Lucien felt lightheaded just by gazing at them all. Never in his life did he ever assume he'd find himself in this situation, looking upon people of his kind, and without feeling repulsed for a moment.

The variety was astounding. Whereas Lucien had only known of his, Rodel and Demetrius' dark scale colours, he was surprised to see a huge gradient of scale colour schemes. There were dragons as crimson as blood, shining like rubies whenever they moved. Dragons the colour of fire stepped around buildings, creating the image of molten rock sliding into the street. There were emerald dragons, turquoise dragons, dragons the colour of daisies. Tiny dragons the size of horses were clawing upon larger backs, flapping their wings and half-rising off of their support. Enormous dragons rested behind buildings in fields, sunbathing with their scaly eyes closed.

The human forms that milled around their large feet surprised Lucien the most.

Of course, he knew that they were all shifters and that some opted one form and some preferred the other. But to see people casually living their lives around large dragon bodies shocked him.

Was this how it was like before history destroyed our relationship with Ignisia? He thought, watching dragons and humans interact. They all shared one common tongue. Seeing the sight before him, it wasn't hard to envision humans and dragons living peacefully amongst each other in the other kingdoms.

He was silent for apparently too long because when a nudge startled him out of his thoughts, he saw that Aeric and Rodel were halfway down the hill on their way to the town's main gate.

"You alright there, little brother?" Demetrius asked, peering at him sideways. "It's a lot to take in, is it not?"

He would've nodded but he was too busy watching Aeric trek down the hill carefully, his shoulders tense. "Is he okay?"

Demetrius looked over to where Lucien was staring, watching their sister interact with the human. "He's nervous," he said. "He's practically terrified," not sparing Lucien from the truth,

Lucien surged forward but was stopped by his brother's hand on his arm. He looked up in confusion.

"He'll be alright here," he promised him, sincerity in his eyes. "He's a strong man and living here will make him stronger still. Being acquainted with the royal family will be practically all the protection he'll need if he comes across any situation that could put him in harm's way."

It was as if he knew what Lucien was worried about and he glanced once more at Aeric who was nodding at something Rodel had said. "I know," he simply said before pulling away from Demetrius' hold. "I'm not worried about him."

Why he constantly lied, Lucien had no clue. It was clearly obvious to the both of them that it was a false statement. But perhaps it with the attempt to prove the fact to himself that caused him to say it. To say anything, really.

Demetrius stared at him for a bit, no doubt trying to figure out why Lucien dismissed his reassurances. But he nodded and jerked his chin forward. "Let's go. This is the first time you'll have ever met your people."