Lucien - 3

Lucien wasn't entirely sure what it was about him that didn't frighten off the other boy, but he soon found himself with a talkative latch-on as he walked deeper into the forest.

When he lit the pack on fire, he expected Aeric to run away; perhaps even attack him with his bow. But instead, the other boy watched the flame with slight fascination in his eyes, paired with an understandable dose of horror. Lucien had stood there silently, waiting. But the escape never came. Instead, an arsenal of questions all but erupted from Aeric's mouth.

By this time, it was midday and the forest was quite well-lit. Lucien could tell that Aeric spent his own fair share in the forest since he wasn't shocked by the lush wildlife and sunlight that many people doubted the Wet Woods to have.

"Is it hard?" was the first question.

Lucien jerked, unused to being directly spoken to. Despite having Aeric rattle on and on about mythical creatures that he knew existed, and magic, which was banned but everyone knew didn't really exist, he had ceased in the questions for a few moments. The abrupt question shocked him.

"Is what hard?" he asked warily.

The other boy shrugged and kicked at a small stump that was in his path. He was trying to act nonchalant but Lucien was no fool, and the other boy was practically vibrating with curiosity.

"You know. Blowing fire. Turning into a dragon. Is it hard? Does it hurt? Does it feel any different?"

Lucien stared at him with a mystified expression for so long that Aeric shifted uncomfortably and stopped, staring back at him. "I-I mean, I've never seen..."

"I can't transform into a dragon."

Aeric's face fell at Lucien's abrupt and cold answer. Or perhaps he was just disappointed that he wouldn't be able to see Lucien transform into a beast.

"Oh. Well, I thought that maybe, since you're, you know. You could, probably." He suddenly looked hopefully. "Have you ever tried? Maybe if you tried –"

Lucien shot him with a look that he had practiced in the clear waters that he had found in some little streams and ponds in the forest. It was a glare, one so cold that he was sure even his mother would feel violated with. Of course, he had never actually tried it on her. But he had on the cook and he was able to leave the castle with extra provisions that day.

Aeric had quickly shut up, looking at him apprehensively. Lucien felt the urge to crush the hope out of him ruthlessly.

"Why would I want to transform into a monster?" He scoffed, as if it was the most ridiculous inquiry in the world. "I'm already enough as I am, no need to go terrorizing the town in beast form and guarantee a quicker death sentence."

Aeric spluttered, as if Lucien was offending him more than he was himself.

"A monster? You're not –... Dragons aren't..."

Lucien watched unimpressed as Aeric tried to find the words.

"A quicker death sentence? Surely your mother wouldn't be so unkind as to sentence you to death."

He gave Aeric a dry look. "I assure you, you don't know my mother like I do."

Aeric's face was aghast. "She tried to kill you?"

"Not directly." Granted, Lucien wasn't entirely sure that his mother ever did try to kill him. He didn't doubt that given the infallible opportunity, she would happily turn a blind eye to his murder. But he didn't think that she ever ordered him killed. He was positive she was simply waiting for him to get eaten or mauled in the forest at his own accord.