Lucien - 11

Lucien slipped under a stone archway that led into the back of the castle, towards the kitchens. It was his old and easy way of coming in and out of the castle, but never before did he have to sneak around. Now, he was avoiding everyone at all costs.

Because it was mid-morning, servant flow was slow and trickled through hallways scarcely. Lucien was betting on the fact that if he was invisible to them for the first fourteen years of his life, he would be again this time around. The only thing he regretted was the fact that he had dived into this mission so headstrong and blind that he looked extremely out of his place with his Vajeel-woven clothes.

It was only a matter of time before a knight unexpectedly rounded a corner and saw Lucien trying to sneak his way through an empty corridor.

A hand grabbed the back of his shirt and hauled him backwards before slamming his face-first into the cold wall. He gasped in pain and tried to struggle but the knight had him pinned tight.

"And what is this?" the knight sneered, peering into Lucien's thunderous face. "A sneak? A thief? A piece of town scum that found its way into the castle?"

Lucien didn't recognize him and had the greatest urge to spit on his face as he had seen some snobbish royals do, but he preferred to keep his head intact for Aeric's birthday. Instead, he mustered up the rest of his dignity and spoke as clearly as he could despite his cheek being smashed against the wall. "An old friend of the Queen, come back to visit," he hissed.

The knight barked out a laugh. "That's rich," he snorted. "Friend of the Queen, eh?" His grip on Lucien's neck tightened. "We'll see about that, scum." He stepped back and wrenched Lucien away from the wall with him and for once, he regretted not taking Aeric up on those self defense lessons. It was utterly humiliating being tugged and pushed around. Shoved forward in an indication to walk, the knight kept his grip on Lucien. "I'm sure the Queen will be delighted to see you," his captor said sarcastically. "All cleaned up for her majesty's audience, are you?"

A talker, Lucien thought idly as he followed the iron grip down the corridor. He knew where they were going: the throne room. His mother must be having audiences at the moment. One that likes the sound of his own dreadful voice.

As they passed servants, some looked up to see him and others ignored the scene. He recognized some faces and when it was clear that they recognized him as well, Lucien was amused to see them gasp in both shock and horror. He wondered what rumours had spread about him once he had left. Did they think he died? That he was captured? Murdered? He doubted they even cared until now. Luckily, the oblivious guard kept right on, chattering away about how much trouble he was going to find himself in for trying to steal from the Queen.

"Right then, here we are," The knight sneered, stopping between the grand doors that led into the throne room. Lucien realized that this knight was probably seeking any sort of attention in the castle that he could find because instead of waiting for the Queen's current audience to finish, he pushed the doors open and strode in, dragging him along without mercy.

"Your Majesty," he all but shouted, bowing so low that Lucien swore he probably practiced in front of a mirror. Because of his dip, Lucien was pulled down into a bow with him. "I come with a criminal," he shouted at the floor.

"Sir Orrey," said the Queen in disapproval and Lucien felt his breath catch in his throat. It had been only a few short years since he had heard her voice so close but even now he could hear the lack of compassion in her tone. His mother, Queen Marianne, was a strong woman at heart, but with that came a frigid personality. She was beautiful in features but despite her and the general's happy marriage, Lucien knew she only did it for political stability within the kingdom.