XVI: Let's Wear Black

Hogwarts School was generally one for the gossip so there was no doubt in the headmasters eyes that the news would stay between the three mischief-makers and a few Gryffindor students. After all, there was definitely a different mood hanging over the Gryffindor tower. The familiar laughing and cheering that filled the corridors had disappeared and was replaced with a somber feel that never seemed to want to leave. Noticeable differences could be seen in James' close friends such as Remus who looked worse than ever. He had spend close to a week after the full moon in the hospital wing and he seemed to have a limp that just wouldn't leave. Peter spoke less than he usually did and returned to being the shy first year that everyone used to know and love. He had his hands firmly wedged in this pockets most of the time and the playful smile and dancing glint in his eye had now disappeared. He looked practically dead behind the eyes. After a day of this strange behaviour going on within the Marauders, people began to approach them and ask them where James was. If Lily was within earshot she would weep consistently and run to the dorm room whilst Remus would have the most horrified look painted across his face as he looked across as Peter who didn't say a word. The group seemed too calm and relaxed without James. He was like the leader of the group to them, someone they could always count on to be brave or confident when they were feeling sad or weak. 

Out of everyone, though, Sirius Black seemed scarily nice. He acted similarly to Peter except he carried on as usual and laughed as he usually did. Except whenever he did find anything funny and he did laugh, it just sounded devoid of happiness and anything positive. People rarely made jokes, even the Slytherin's had taken a step back this time. 

They understood.

They knew how much they must be grieving over his death.

Even Snape who despised James did honour him by butting out of the whole situation and minding his own business when he knew Lily was on the verge of a breakdown. There would, of course, be nights where she would walk down to the Gryffindor common room and sit in front of the fireplace sobbing into her dressing gown until Remus would come down the stairs to ask what was wrong to whoever was sitting there.

"It's nothing, Remus. Go back to bed," Lily would say uncertainly, sniffling.

Remus would look down at his poor friend and sit next to her by the fireplace and do his best at comforting her and saying some nice words about his dear friend that he had lost. Of course, Lily wouldn't say what was wrong and why she was so upset because she knew who killed James (well, she had a very good idea of who it was) but she was refusing to tell anyone. Especially Sirius. Lily Evans was sure that if she told him who killed James Potter, they would come to an end soon. He wouldn't care, he would do what felt right and consider it too late for logic.

OoOoOoO

Professor Dumbledore's had asked them all to come to the Great Hall that evening after dinner to commemorate the loss of James Potter which meant that they all wore black. 

Remus was standing in front of the mirror doing his tie and adjusting his black robes whilst Peter was nowhere to be seen along with a few other Gryffindor students. Sirius was quickly doing up the buttons on his shirt whilst avoiding eye contact with Remus.

Deciding to give it a shot, Remus said, "Sirius, talk to me."

Of course, he got no reply.

"Sirius."

Silence.

Remus let go of his tie and stared at his reflection furiously before turning around and walking over to Sirius who looked positively dreadful. His hair was poking out from all angles and his eyes were extremely red and pudgy. He looked like he had been crying. But yet he avoided Remus' angry glare.

"For God's sake, pull yourself together!" he shouted in his face and slapped him to at least gain his attention. "I know James is gone and I know it's hard on you but you've got to keep living! James wouldn't have wanted..." he gestured at him. "This!"

Sirius looked up at him. "And how would you know what he wants, Remus. He's dead."

His words were harsh and like small daggers. His throats sounded raspy and frigid unlike his usual tone when waking up in the morning or even going to options with the Slytherins. It was like he no longer cared what happened in his life and that everything was over.

"I understand Sirius, but—" Remus started.

"You understand nothing!" he shouted, standing up and walking towards him. 

He seemed to be dead behind the eyes, no emotion apart from pure anger and rage filled his pale, flaccid face that was inches from Remus'.

"He was like a brother to me and without him, I don't know what to do anymore..." his voice trailed off.

"He was a brother to me too, Sirius..." Remus said, his eyes filling with tears.

Remus looked at Sirius for one second and suddenly saw how much sadness he really was hiding and how empty he was without James. He frowned at his friend and then pulled him into a tight hug. He felt hot tears running onto his white shirt and drew out a shaky breath.

"It's going to be okay, Sirius," he said slowly.

"No, it's not," he said, his voice sounding so weak and finished.

"No, but it is what it is."

A/N: I know, it's been what feels like years and I am deeply ashamed with myself but I've had a lot going on in my life. I promise I'll get a longer chapter up with a bit more action after this! As for the fact that I haven't been adding in Sophie's part, I will add it in when I go through the editing of the book and once I have, you can read along both storylines. Chow!