XV: Ditched for Paris

"Edward?" Sophie asked

"Yes?" He asked.

"Do you believe in fairy tales? I'm not talking about the far-fetched ones or whether you fully agree with me. I'm asking whether you think they're possible."

He thought for a minute and looked down at her storybook. He frowned and then smiled up at her.

"I guess there isn't a reason not to believe. I guess there has been a little part of me that always liked fairy stories."

*******************

The Marauders didn't hear much more from Sirius about his new lover so they assumed everything was fine but in reality, everything couldn't have been worse. Rita Skeeter kept an eye on both of them at all times so it was almost impossible for them to talk to each other. Sirius was slumped at the Gryffindor table on the cold November morning before lessons. A clump of his hair was in the milk about had been for quite some time.

"Sirius?" Peter said, waving his hand in front of his face.

"He can't hear you, he's thinking." James stated.

"About what?" Remus chuckled.

"Oh, who knows! This has happened many a time with Sirius and I. He tends to zone out and think of other things. The best way to get his attention is to whisper something in his ear. A trigger word if you will." James smirked and shuffled over to Sirius.

"Cat."

"Where?!" Sirius said, swinging around and falling off the bench.

"Told ya. His trigger word always does the trick. When Filch isn't around, we let him chase Mrs Norris." James told Peter.

Remus smiled but it eventually faded and he looked down, sighing.

"You okay, Moony? You don't look so good." Sirius frowned.

"It's just that time of the month, it's tomorrow." Remus yawned and looked sadly down at the wooden floor.

Moments of silence ensued and Peter looked at all of them.

"You know, the time where I turn into a bloodthirsty monster and try to kill you all?!" Remus whispered over to Peter.

"Not so loud!" James hushed.

"You know what? I don't care anymore! I hate my life and I wish this never happened! I wish I hadn't survived that night! I wish I was dead!" Remus cried and ran off.

"Hey, Remus! You left your...book..." Sirius said, picking it up.

Sirius took it in his hand and started flicking through the pages. He sat back down on the bench and opened the book. He turned to the first page and snorted.

"This isn't English, Remus has been reading a book in a different language!" Sirius laughed openly.

"No! Give me that!" James said and snatch it from Sirius. "So it is! Remus is bilingual!"

"I think you'll find, James, that this is written in old English or in other words, Shakespearian. It's the style the playwright chose to write in." Lily chimed in.

"Then why doesn't it make sense?" James frowned.

"Because you haven't looked close enough. Try reading the first few lines and then translate them into modern-day English." Lily instructed.

"Alright. Two households, both alike in dignity. In fair Verona where we lay our scene. From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, where civil blood makes civil hands unclean?"

"That's right, James. It's introducing two families who hold an ancient grudge against each other and are very respected families. They're being described as 'civil' which means that blood makes hands unclean. Basically, there are going to be a few fights."

"This is so boring. Well done, Lilith Evans. You've managed to talk the great mischief maker of Hogwarts into going to lessons! Congratulations!" James said sarcastically and trudged away.

Sirius hung back with Lily whilst Peter went to talk to James about something.

"You meeting up with J tonight?" Lily asked.

Sirius nodded.

J was a code for Juliet as they never knew when Rita would appear. She had already spread nasty rumours around the school around the school about Remus, James and Peter so he was next on her list. Then she would have the full set and could blackmail them all. She managed to worm her way into people's business without them even realising it.

"What have you got planned?" Lily asked.

"It involves the Black Lake, roses and unicorns." Sirius smiled.

"What a lucky girl." Lily smiled and they both sat down in charms. The lesson was shared with the Hufflepuff sixth years so Sirius sat next to someone he often he talked to from the badger house. Someone by the name of Newton Hudson.

"Hey Newt, how's it going?" Sirius smiled and Newt went to sit next to him.

"Nothing much, what about you Dog Star?" He smirked.

"I'm alright, I'm just spending most of my days fantasising about a girl way out of my league who likes me." Sirius said.

Newt nodded and opened his textbook to the correct page. He sharpened his pencil and placed it neatly next to his rubbers and pens. Newt was very lanky in appearance and he wore oversized glasses. He had neat, black hair gelled back and his uniform was immaculate.

The lessons throughout the day passed fairly quickly without incident and at the end of potions which happened to be the last lesson of the day, Sirius rushed to the Shrieking Shack to meet Juliet. He had to bypass the greenhouses to snip a bunch of freshly-picked flowers. He sat in the shack and smiled to himself.

But his smile eventually faded as time flew by and Juliet did not appear. Eight o'clock. Nine o'clock. Ten o'clock. No Juliet White. Sirius cursed under his breath and threw the flowers to the floor that had already started to wilt. He stood on them and angrily walked out of the room. He avoided the branches of the willow and broke into a sprint towards the castle. He snook around the walls and pulled out the map with his shaking hands.

No one in the lower corridors. He ran across the halls and towards the Gryffindor bathroom. He ran to the bathroom, locked the door and slid down and had his back to the door. He put his head in his hands and cried out in anger.

"Why Juliet? Why...I just want an answer..." Sirius whispered to himself.

*******************

"So, Sirius is the main character?" 

Sophie nodded.

"And you think your Grandmother is who?"

"I think she's Juliet."