It had been seven minutes since she had an awkward exchange with Ed where he complimented her dress and she saw the hint of hurt in his eyes. Trying to push past it, they walked through the lobby together, not arm in arm but close enough that it was evident they came together. A few polite hellos and complementing of attire with some colleagues she recognized and they found themselves checking in with the hostess. Three minutes ago they got their table number and she glanced down to see who else would be seated with them and was surprised to see "Pippa Cox and guest".

The lump formed immediately in her throat and she made a hasty retreat to the bathroom. The firm lock of Ed's jaw registered his disapproval with their table mates but she had excused herself to the bathroom before he could speak.

Three minutes later she's still in the bathroom. Her fingers curl over the edge of the sink as she takes in her reflection in the mirror. The stress is perfectly masked behind her straightened hair parted down the center and light makeup capped off with rose colored lipstick. Standing up straight, she adjusts the fit of the red and silver strapless corset top with the sweetheart neckline that perfectly accentuates her impressive cleavage. At first she thought the train was a bit much and despite what may very well be a firestorm around her she smiles at her reflection in the mirror. If only the dress would've been for a different occasion. Not one where she has to plaster on a fake smile all night and hope that Ed and Elliot don't come to blows.

Pippa wasn't a concern for her. The little twinge of jealousy she had quickly disappeared somewhere between coming down from the high of her orgasm that Elliot gave her and prancing into the front door of the hotel. But it was Elliot she was concerned for. His stunt at her apartment while it was memorable and still sent shockwaves through her veins concerned her because it revealed just how uncomfortable he was with the whole scenario. She'd seen him be jealous before of men around her but this was something different. He was full on staking his claim and no less against a man that had manipulated him out of his career.

Olivia jolts when she hears the door open and two relatively young women, one blonde one brunette stroll in giggling at one another. Quickly she discerns they are not involved in law enforcement or an attorney but probably someone's arm candy for the night.

If only she could just people watch for the rest of the night and not have to keep a close eye out for any run ins. This was much more entertaining.

Finally she pries herself from the bathroom and strolls back to the waiting area where a few people form a small circle near Ed. He's giving a thin polite smile, gripping his glass of something he must've picked up at the bar so tight that she wonders if it will shatter.

"Hello. Sorry I took so long," she apologizes in a low voice as she returns to his side.

"Lieutenant Benson," one of the men yells excitedly. He's clearly had more than one beverage. "Nice to meet you. You look stunning."

Olivia pastes on the best fake smile she can manage for the man she doesn't know but is complimenting her.

"I'm sorry. I'm Captain Lyle Henderson from the 4-6. Your former boss Don Cragen and I knew each other. He spoke highly of you and your whole team," he explains, the loud clinking of the ice in his glass distracting her from his words.

"Well thank you. It's nice to meet you."

Ed places his hand lightly on her elbow. "We better head inside," he says to the group. "Talk to you guys later."

After a few paces his hand drops back to his side. "You ok?"

"Yeah I'm fine," she lies as they walk into the massive room. The scene inside sidetracks her errant thoughts temporarily. There's a live band near the stage, several large tables decorated in a dark cream color with beautiful centerpieces. Everyone is dressed in their best attire, the most formal that she's seen any of them. Even though she doesn't see exactly where he is, she can hear the loud boom of Deputy Dodds' laughter in the crowd. The room is rather large and thankfully there's a full house so she's hoping to just blend in with the crowd. Her eyes settle on the open bar and she makes a mental note to probably head there sooner rather than later. Time is already crawling by.