Chapter 17

Author's Note: Dream sequence is in Italics. Also keep in mind when reading this that people aren't magically cured from traumatic events when they happen. It takes time and there are setbacks but trust her....and me.

Elliot puts the final touches on the spaghetti sauce, closing the lid to the pot to let it finish cooking. The garlic bread is on the counter waiting to go into the oven and he's already finished preparing the salad. Liz suggested they all gather at his place for dinner and he was excited to be entertaining all of his children at once. Rarely did this occur between the older kids' busy schedules and his custody arrangement with Kathy in regards to Eli.

"Dad what do you want me to help with?" an eager Eli asks with a determined look on his face. HIs days of sitting in front of the TV distracted by cartoons were behind him and he was beginning to take on more "grown up" tasks as he referred to them. He was also becoming more aware of everything that happened around him, an observation not lost on his father and he made sure to watch everything he said and did around him.

"I don't know buddy maybe you can put some butter on the garlic bread for me?"

"Got it," he agrees, opening the fridge to pull out the butter. Eli grabs the knife and is about to grab a piece of the bread.

"Hey Hey. Hands," Elliot corrects him in a half playful half serious tone.

Eli walks to the sink and his dad slaps him on the back with a dishtowel. "Ow! My hands are clean."

"Yeah I bet. Rule number 1. Always wash your hands when you are joining Chef Stabler in the kitchen or anyone for that matter."

"Yeah yeah. You sound like mom now." Squeezing twice on the soap bottle, he washes his hands and holds them up to Elliot for inspection.

"Alright looks good to me."

While they prepare the rest of the food, Elliot's mind wanders to Olivia which is commonplace these days. He was scared after his confession to her about what happened nine years ago. The night the little boy now standing next to him was conceived. He didn't know what kind of reaction he would get from her. Her tears and anger he expected but got something completely different. Her understanding. Their journey was a long and complicated one to say the least. In the past everything between them seemed like an insurmountable hill too steep and full of obstacles that neither could climb. Now everything seemed different. Easier.

To no one's surprise, her schedule had kept them apart for the last few days because she had caught a break in her case. Something he knew about all too well. The lunch with her and the girls had gone well and he was thankful for that. Kathy asked him about Olivia and he kept his answers pretty vague so far but he was concerned the kids would fill her in sooner rather than later. It was important to him that he and his ex continue to get along for the kids sake so he knew once everything was more serious with Olivia he would tell her himself. He wanted to give Olivia time to handle her main priorities which was getting herself together and focusing on balancing work and motherhood. Going to the next level was important to him but he waited all this time, he could wait as long as she needed to.

"Daddy what's this? Denver Airport on July-" Eli asks, the butter on his hands greasing the edges of the post it note.

"That," he takes the paper from him. "Is something for work. Hands off."

"You goin' to Denver?"

Elliot takes in his son's inquisitive expression and looks into his blue eyes, the one physical trait that is so undeniably a copy of him.

"No I don't think so," he pats his shoulder. "Not this time."

Eli's smile is instant. "Ok good."