Chapter 4

Pippa looks back and forth between the two of them confused.

"You two know each other?"

"You could say that," Olivia pipes up after Elliot just stands frozen staring at her with his mouth open. "Elliot was my old partner."

Patrons talk.

Glasses clink together.

There's a faint baby cry off in the distance. However, all Elliot can see is his former partner staring back at him. His throat is dry, his stance stiff. Even if he wanted to move or speak he can't. Her brown eyes waver between shock, anger and other emotions that he could read at one point in their lives but can't quite make out anymore.

Olivia grabs her purse and stands up. There is talking and her mouth may be moving but he can't put the sounds together but she's there. Right in front of him. Her mocha brown hair falls in loose waves past her shoulder with a little eyeliner and a faint pink trace of lipstick on her full lips. A pale blue silk shirt and trademark black pants hug her curves and she's right there.

Still in cop mode. Still staring. Still beautiful.

"Elliot, did you hear me?" Pippa snaps and pulls on his arm to get his attention.

The gesture breaks his reverie and he's back in the present.

Olivia continues to look on, a scowl slowly beginning to form on her face.

"Yeah-umm I mean no. I didn't," his hand scrubs down his face in frustration. "What did you say?"

Pippa observes him closely. "I said I didn't know you two were old partners. You never mentioned that."

Her tone is a bit accusatory and in normal circumstances he would remember to address it later but for now his focus is solely on the woman in front of him. The woman who had once been the closest person in the world to him, who he cherished and made it his duty to protect for years. The same woman who was now avoiding his gaze, fidgeting with her phone and looking like she was about to bolt out the door.

No.

He didn't want her to leave. They needed to talk and if she left he wasn't sure when he would see her again.

"I told you I had a partner we just never got into specifics," he retorts attempting to sound aloof. "It's good to see you again Liv." His voice sounds dry and he clears it right after.

"It's good to see you too." Her words tumble out hurriedly and he knows what's coming next before she says it. "So I need to head out. I'll see you two later."

Olivia clears her throat and takes one step forward to walk on the side of Pippa towards the door when her keys fall out of her hand.

"Shit," she curses under her breath. She needs to get out of there and everything from the waitresses who keep walking by to the sudden increase in people is making it harder and harder for her to make it to her ultimate destination.

The door.

"Liv-I mean Olivia," he corrects himself from using her nickname. "Don't leave. Why don't you join us?"

She pivots to look at him as if he's crazy and doesn't miss the surprised glance on Pippa's face. There's no way in hell she's staying. In fact, hell would be better than sitting in a bar with her colleague who is now dating the man that was once the center of her world. They haven't kept in touch and this was not going to be the day that gap was bridged.

"I've got to get going. I was already running late," she explains pointing to the door for emphasis. Olivia tries to look over his shoulder instead of in his eyes to make the situation less awkward but the damage has been done. There will be an uncomfortable conversation that they will both end up having with Pippa and she couldn't be more annoyed.