Chapter 18

David Shaw's POV
"What's going on in that big head of yours?", Bren asked as she entered and sat opposite to me.

"Callie. Do you think she is lying?", I asked her and she looked taken back.

"Why do you ask that?", she asked me.

"Because even though her story fits perfectly, there are still many loopholes and of all the time why would she decide to escape now? Exactly a week after Valez was murdered", I told her looking at her face.

"What are you trying to say David? What loopholes?", she asked me confused.

"One. The forensic department did an entire sweep of the house and came up with nothing! Just her prints everywhere", I told her and she stopped me.

"Our guy was clever. He wouldn't leave prints behind when he escaped", she said.

"That is what I thought too but according to Callie's report, he was hurt and bleeding very badly and the police were there within an hour. So I don't think he would have had the time to wipe out the entire house. He couldn't have done it earlier because he didn't know Callie was going to kill him or escape from him that day", I told her and she nodded.

"Two. I checked the ownership details of the property we found her in and guess what? It was in the name of Callie and she has bought it right before she disappeared", I was saying when she stopped me.

"How do you know it was Callie? Maybe her kidnapper could have bought it on her name to play us", she said.

"That is what I thought until I checked her bank details. The money she used to buy that house has gone from her own personal account. An account no one knew existed but only her", I told her.

"But why? And where did she get so much money?", she asked me.

"That's not it. Third. Once in every month she stayed there, she has ordered groceries from the same store and requested the same old man to deliver it. When I inquired the man, he said he was asked to leave the bag in front of the door and there would be money near the window. He said he got a huge tip every time and he was happy with it. He never bothered to check who lived there. But once he said he saw a women come out in the night and drag the bag inside the house. When I showed him a picture of Callie he confirmed it was her but he said she had a blindfold on when he saw her", I told her.

"And he didn't even bother to ask if she was ok? What was he doing there at that time anyway?", she asked me a little angry.

"He was a greedy fellow who wasted his life on drinks so he didn't bother much as long as he got the money. That night he said he was drunk and was passing by that way when he saw her", I told her.

"Alright. Continue", she said.

"Four. We found few shirts and pants in the wardrobe in that house but if our guy really was as careful as to wipe his prints in the entire house, then why would he leave his clothes behind. That would give us a clear idea of his physique. Finally, she said she killed him in the basement or at least stabbed him multiple times with a knife according to her report. When the forensics searched that area, they found blood and confirmed it was Callie's. They also found another blood group and initially I thought it was the kidnapper's. When we did a search of the area second time, we found a blood bag buried under the ground few meters away from the house. I just got the reports confirming it was the same blood they found in the basement. All this proves only one thing", I was saying when she beat me to it.

"There was no kidnapper!", she said.

"Exactly!", I said glad she got my point.

"But why? She had a perfect life...a perfect family...why throw away all that and how will you explain her injuries?", she asked me with confusion.

"Why? That is the exact same question running in my mind as well", I told her.

"Maybe we should go talk to the doctor. She might shed some light on few things and help us out and also we should have a chat with Callie", she said as she got up.

"Definitely!", I told her as we made our way to the hospital.

Callie Brown's POV
"What did you hear?", he asked me a little shocked.

"I thought I died that day Ky and I wouldn't make it. In the darkness I heard voices. I couldn't understand what was going on and there was just chaos and nothing else. That was when I heard your voice and my uncle's. You kept calling my name and told me it was all going to be okay and that you both were there for me now. I heard it all", I told him and he let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh you meant that!", he said smiling.

"Yeah. What else did you think?", I asked him.

"Nothing. I was just...nothing important. Now that you are here let's not go back into the past. I'm here and your family is here for you. Everything is fine now Cal", he said.

"Yeah I wish it was. I can't stay calm until and unless I know he is caught", I told him and something about him wasn't right. "Are you okay?", I asked him.

"Yeah. Just I can't see you like this", he said and the door opened and mom walked in.

"Hi honey. How are you feeling today?", mom asked me with a bright smile.

"Aches everywhere and my jaw hurts like hell every time I talk", I told her and her face fell. "I'm fine mom", I told her and she gave me a sad smile.

"I have some work to attend to. I will come back after a while", Ky said with a smile and left.

Kyron Matthew's POV
"I need to know what she said to the police. I don't know what you will do but I need all the details by the end of the day", I said and hang up.

If only she had told me what she said to the police, I wouldn't have had to go to such extremes I thought to myself as I made my way out of the hospital.