Chapter Twenty-Two- The Tribulation

Start from the beginning

  Max’s expression flared up into anger. 

   “Fine, Jack. I thought you were going to be flexible. But apparently I was mistaken.” 

   “Apparently.” Jack spat back. 

   “I guess there’s only one way to settle this.” 

   “What, are you gonna make my brothers kill me?” Jack sneered. I saw a few of the pack members flinch back. 

   “Of course not! That would hardly be fair. You and me are going to solve this the old fashion way.” 

   “You want to fight me, Max?” 

   “To the death.” he said, nodding. Jack laughed, looking down at the ground. 

   “Last man standing is the new alpha?” 

   “Last man standing also gets the girls.” Max added. I felt my heart stutter at the thought of being Max’s slave as Sydney squeezed my hand tightly. 

  I saw the anger in Jacks eyes nearly explode.

   “Don’t you dare hurt either of them.” 

   “I would never!” Max lied, faking a shocked expression as to say, ‘How could you ever suggest such a thing?’ 

  The air was tense and silent for the longest moment. I felt the tension building, and there wasn’t even the sound of the wind rustling the grass. It was dead still. Kind of like the calm before the storm. 

  Until Jack nodded. 

   “Let’s do this Max. I can take you.” he finally said. I felt tears prick my eyes as I opened my mouth to protest, but Damian spoke before I could. 

   “Hold on!” he exclaimed, rushing up to them before they could walk away to kill each other. “This isn’t right!” 

   “This is our only option, Damian!” Jack snapped, holding up a hand to silence him. 

   “But your basically leaving this all up to your skills! Who has the sharpest teeth, the best fighting techniques, who has the biggest claws! That’s not how packs are supposed to settle things!” 

   “Jack doesn’t deserve negotiating.” Max said calmly. “This is strictly between him and I and--” 

   “No, it’s not!” he exploded. “This has to do with the entire pack, the fate of the Hokan tribe depends on this!” 

   “Damian, this may be my only opportunity to give the pack the alpha they need.” Jack reasoned. 

   “And if you lose?” Damian challenged. Jack thought for a very long moment. 

   “If I lose... then it’s apparently meant to be.” he started walking alongside Max towards the forest, Damian frozen with shock. 

   “Wait!” I screamed when I couldn’t contain it any longer. Jack turned to see me sprinting towards him. “Jack,” I panted when I reached them. “you’re leaving this all up to fate?!” I exclaimed. 

  I swear... as he gripped my face tightly between his large hands, I’d never in my life seen more pain in ones eyes as I saw in his. 

   “Kaylee,” he spoke slowly. “I’m so sorry. I never wanted to put you in any danger. But this is the only way.” 

   “No, it’s not!” 

   “Yes... it’s the only way to keep you alive, Kaylee.” 

   “I don’t care!” I yelled, jerking away from his hands. “Kill me!” I screeched towards Max. “Kill me, just let him go!” 

  I saw conflict in Max’s eyes. 

   “Don’t you even think about it.” Jack growled. 

   “No, no,” he finally decided. “I’d never hurt you, Kaylee.” 

   “Why?!” I asked desperately. 

   “Kaylee,” Jack grabbed my face again, forcing me to turn and look at him. “I love you. More than anything in this world. And I swear to God, if I win, I will marry you. I will make you so incredibly happy. But right now, I have to face my demons. I have to fight my battle. That’s the thing. This isn’t your fight.” 

   “But it doesn’t feel right just leaving you to fight alone!” I exclaimed, tears shamelessly springing from my eyes. 

   “And it doesn’t feel fair putting your life in danger any longer.” he said calmly, meeting my blurry, tear-stained eyes. 

   “I don’t care!” I blubbered. I could feel everyone staring at me and Jacks big scene, but I couldn’t care any less. “I don’t care, I refuse to live without you, Jack!”

  Instead of responding, Jack pressed his lips to my forehead for a long second before I grabbed his face and crushed my lips to his. I could feel the pain. I could feel the anger. I could feel the fear. I could feel it all, just in this kiss. 

  Once again, I knew we had an audience, but I didn’t care. If this was the last moment I could ever share with Jack... I wanted to make it last forever, even if it only lasted a second. 

  I could taste the fact that he wanted more, but he grabbed my hair and pulled me back, gasping back tears. 

   “Let’s go, Max. Last man standing it is.” he said gruffly, not meeting my eyes and trotting off into the forest ahead of Max. 

   “Stop!” I cried, attempting to run forward, until one of the pack members caught me around my waist, restraining me easily with their super-strength. 

   “Set me down!” I screamed, kicking and flailing as they dragged me back towards the center of the clearing. It felt like prom night all over again. 

  But it was ten times worse now.