Chapter 52

It took Kandii twenty minutes to shower and change.  She had opted to wear a tight pair of black leggings and a black blazer.  The V-neck red blouse hung low in the front, showing off her ample cleavage.  

She buttoned the bottom two button on the blazer.  Satisfied that she looked good.  She didn’t have enough time to style her hair the way she wanted so she left it down.  Her long soft curls framed her face, giving her an innocent fresh look.

Black leather red bottomed boots completed her look.  She took one last look in the mirror.  She had went light on her makeup, only giving her lips a splash of color.  Red and damned if they didn't look kissable!  Kandii strutted out of her bedroom with a newfound confidence.

Devin wanted her.

He needed her.

She would give him what he wanted.  Sharon was a non-factor at this point.  He had to of been feeling sorry for her.  Nigga's sometimes got that way when they had a baby coming.

But she knew Devin.

This couldn't be what he wanted. Nita gave her a nod of approval when she entered the living room.  Kandii was anxious to go and was relieved that Nita seemed just as ready to go.  

Just under a half an hour later, they were parking in-front of Devin's house.  The drive way was filled up and so was the immediate parking out front.  Nita had to circle the block and park way down the street.

"Damn this has to be huge," Kandii said as she shut the car door.

Devin had never been the type to host a party.  Only during Football season and even then the guest list was slender.  He must really be doing well, to go all out like this and she was proud of him.

"Ready?" Nita asked as they started to make their way down the street.

"As, I'll ever be."

Before they reached the house, they heard the music.  It was. Loud but soft.  Maybe Jazz or the blues.  That was strange to Kandii.  This was a celebration; she expected the music to be turnt up.  She dismissed the thought as she glanced at Nita.  Her nerves had kicked in and she stepped from foot to foot.  Nita rang the doorbell and Kandii's heartbeat accelerated.  This was it!

Within seconds, a somewhat older woman answered the phone.  She smiled at Kandii and Nita, even hugging them.  

"Come in my darlings!"  Kandii frowned at her.  Who was this woman to be answering Devin's door?  And what was with her accent?

"Thank you, "Nita gushed out in an overly sweet tone.

Kandii walked ahead and stopped dead in her tracks.  There were balloons everywhere.  Blue helium filled balloons.  Floating by the hundreds.  Some were hanging from the ceiling. Others were tired to chairs.  Kandii saw a huge banner.

"Our special baby shower."

The banner was blue and white, seemed to be the color scheme.  Small blue footprints lined each size of it.  Off to the side of the room she saw a massive table, covered by a lace cloth.  Beautifully wrapped presents adorned it.

She felt sick.

This was too much.  Her eyes scanned everything.  The open floor plan made it impossible for her not to see.  There was even a cake.  It had to be at least six tiers.  Elaborately decorated in the shape of a diaper bag.  People... oh my god the people.

People were sipping Champagne out of blue tinted glasses.  Milling around and mingling almost one another.

"What..the fuck..is going on?"  Kandii hissed.