2 // irrational society

____

June 23, 1961 // 2:03 pm
{ Soundtrack; No. 1 Party Anthem - Arctic Monkeys }

"Penny! Wake up ya sleepy 'ead! I've got bloody brilliant news!" My vivacious friend, Jean, exclaimed. She was never like this; she usually would mope around and walk the Liverpool pier with a sad frown plastered to her face - mostly because her spirit of adventure had completely deteriorated, and no one knew why.

She walked over to my emerald-painted window pane and shut it.

"Alright, what's the matter?"

"I did it! You know - it. Keith and I have done it! And- and it was so perfect! I almost forgot the way his lips felt against mine, or how our bodies intertwined together so perfectly... I simply couldn't ask for a greater night!" She flashed me a toothy grin.

"No.... Don't tell me you actually did it. Have you gone mad?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My best friend - who always carried a despondent frown everywhere she went, had finally found the happiness she yearned for. And I'm still here crying over how I scratched my favorite record the other day.

"I can't just sit here doing nothing but aging like you! I needed to get out and accomplish something in me life," she contradicted rudely. I just laid loosely back onto my bed. "Everybody in this town has gotten to it and you're the last."

"Sod off, Jean. It doesn't matter! You don't always have to follow the crowd," I argued as she leaned onto her knees and let out a defeated sigh.

I hated living in this cloudy town. I hate this irrational society where we feel like we need to be in love or you're not actually living, it's as if it's our only duty on this earth. At such a tender, young age we are conditioned that we need to be in love by the time we're young adults.

The viridescent rusty window flung open and my faded curtain flew around violently.

"What is wrong with your window?" She muttered indignantly. I just shrugged.

"Nothing's wrong with it. Maybe it wants to do its own thing." She got up and shut it again, this time harder and obviously biting on her bottom lip with suppressed fury.

"Look, I didn't come here to go off on ya. I came here to tell you that I'm inviting you to the pier tomorrow night, there's a party and I suppose it would've been a great opportunity for you to find someone... But maybe you don't have to. Just come and have some fun, will ya?" She asked with her eyebrows raised.

"Alright. But I'm not going to have any fun," I huffed.

"Gear! We'll have a great time, I promise you."

____

yay for part 2!!

hahah why need boyfriends when you got records am I right