Part 13

There you were, enveloped in Daryl's arms, rushing towards a bewildered Rick.

"Daryl, what happened?"

"It's (Y/n). She's been bit," Daryl choked on the words, fighting back tears.

Refusing to succumb to the inevitable, you pleaded with Rick to grant you a little more time. He agreed, confining you to a cell with periodic supplies. Despite daily checks and heartfelt pleas from Daryl, Maggie, and Beth, they were barred from entering, the threat too great.

Today, as Daryl came for his routine check-up, he found you trying to maintain a sense of humor in the face of impending doom.

"Hey, sweetheart, how you holdin' up?"

"Haha... I'm great, Daryl, fan-fuckin-tastic," you laughed, a feeble attempt at humor in the midst of the grim reality.

"I'm so sorry this happened to you... GOD DAMMIT!... IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!" Daryl's voice erupted, anger and sorrow intertwining as tears streamed down his face.

Tears welled up in your eyes too. "Oh, God, Daryl... I don't wanna die," your voice trembled, the soft admission hanging heavily in the air.

"I swear i won't let you, you'll be fine, I promise." Daryl squeezed out, hands shaking in fear.

Slowly, you approached the door, placing your hand on his through the barred window. In that fleeting moment, you wished time could stand still, holding onto the one you loved in the face of an inevitable farewell.