Chapter 4

***edited 12-7-23***

My dad left for something, and a tear rolled down my cheek as I thought about his words.

I was saddened by the realization that Rick wouldn't kick Shane out, meaning I'd have to bid farewell to Daryl.  It had been a long time since I'd come so close to anyone.

Hoping to convince him to stay at my dad's farm, I pondered the possibilities. However, before I could speak to him. Shane called us to the barn, and suspicions grew as he revealed our family was hidden away inside.

Standing between my dad and Daryl, we witnessed the chaotic scene unfold, countless walkers pouring out of the back door of the barn, old friends, family. And...my mom.
I could barely remember her face anymore without thinking off the undead, lifeless face she had now. She no longer looked like the beautiful soul that would sing me and my siblings silly nursery rhymes when we were sick in bed. She just looked hungry, and decaying.

"Oh god mom" Beth cried, backing away as our mother went towards her.
"Please stop!! This isn't yo-" she tried to plead as our walker mother grabbed her arm, trying desperately to bite ahold of her.

Everyone started shooting at the walkers, and I couldn't help but just stand and sob. I wanted my life back. I wanted my mom back. Wanted to live my college years like a normal person.
Devastated after all the shooting , I hugged mom's lifeless body until Daryl and my dad came and hugged me tight.

"Sshh-shh, it's gonna be okay, sweetheart. We'll get through this."  Daryl whispered in my ear, petting my hair.

Rick interrupts, addressing the group.

"I think we should have a burial. It's the least we could do. We pick the people that were closest to us and burn the rest."

I let go of Daryl, walking over to Rick and hugging him.

"Thank you, Rick. It means a lot that you care."

I shuffle back to Daryl's side and walk back to the house. We cuddled on the couch, silently for a while. Until I broke the silence

"If Rick goes, will you stay with me?"

"Didn't know I was invited."

"Of course you are"

I think for a while. Trying to figure out what to say to him. We've been through so much in such a short span of time....

"I think it's a little soon, but I don't know how much longer you'll be around the farm. So I just want you to know...I think I love you" I say to him

Normally I wouldn't say such a thing just weeks after meeting a man. But it felt right, in this world nobody knows when their time is up.

"Yeah, I think I might too...Just don't know about leaving the group"

"I Understand." I say. "Just didn't want to say goodbye."

"Me either" Daryl assured me, pulling me into his chest.

we shared a mutual understanding, just sitting in silence, trying to enjoy our last time together. Even with things panning out the way they did.