16. Chapter - Isabella

"What do you mean?" he asks astonished.

I turn slowly towards him. For the first time I stare directly into his eyes. I can hardly see through the tears though. "Do you know who I am?" I whisper.

"You are Lady Isabella and ..."

"No, I .... I ... am" I try telling him the truth. I can't. The words just won't come out. I look at Frederick. He understands.

"She is NOT a Lady!" he states firmly.

"You LIED to me?" Edward yells.

"I never said I was one." I correct him. "When you asked me what my name was, I said Isabella and not Lady Isabella. I never lied!"

"Have you ever thought how this is going to make me look? You will embarrass me! Everyone will think I am a fool!" Edward exclaims in anger.

"No one has to know!" Frederick interferes. "You will just say that you decided you do not want to marry her and rather marry that Princess to merge the kingdoms together. And Isabella will just disappear."

"You will regret this. You will be trialled for treason!" Edward states.

"Then you will have to put me on trial as well. I knew!" Frederick says.

This is too much for Edward. Immediately he turns around and runs back to the castle.

"Thank you!" I look at Frederick. If he hadn't been here, it would have been way worse.

"No problem. I would do anything for you!" He grins at me. Then he pulls me close. Only seconds later our lips meet. As we pull back again Frederick smiles at me. "Glad you're not getting engaged today." He states and kisses me again.