Soup and Pie with McSwoony.

Start from the beginning

"Hmm, that sounds good too."

"See my dilemma?" I ask smiling at our stupid conversation.

"Yeah, third world problems." he jokes.

"Yeah, Yeah."

"We'll order both." He says simply.

"Hmm..yeah, that sounds perfect!"

The diner isn't far from town so it's not long until Chase pulls into the parking lot of Chrissy's.

"Wow, it looks so different!" He says looking out the windshield at the remodeled diner.

"Yeah, it was closed for a couple weeks, and totally redone, as you can see. Neat right?"

Chrissy's looks like an old fashion diner straight out of the fiftys, it's shiny with mirror like siding. The name, Chrissy's Diner, is brightly displayed in red fluorescent lighting in front of the diner, high above the front doors.

"Yeah, wow."

"Let's go! Maybe Chrissy is still here!" I say and jump out of the car, closing the door and rounding the front. Chase follows behind me as we walk up the steps and into the foyer of the diner, then opening the next set of doors. A young girl is at the register, and looks up at us, a wide smile forming. "Hey guys, how many?"

"Just two." Chase says from behind me.

She grabs two menus and comes out from behind the counter, "Okay, follow me please." We follow her as she leads us pass the pie and dessert case, I take the moment to scan the yummy goodness, she continues walking and stops in front of a small booth, placing the menus on the table. "Your waitress will be right with you. Enjoy!" she says and leaves us.

We both slide into the booth across from each other and don't bother looking at the menu because we already know what we're getting. I look around the diner, and take in the late night costumers spread out. The waitress comes to our table, "Look at you two, you guys are the cutest couple I've ever set my eyes on."

I look up at the waitress, totally dumbfounded, and I hear Chase laughing which causes me to look at him. I know my eyes are bugging out of my sockets. He looks at the waitress, "Thanks."

"No problem doll. What can I get you cutie pies to drink?"

Chase nods at me, referring me to go first. "Uh, a coke is fine."

"Sure thing sweetheart, and for you?" She looks to Chase, and I take in her features. Her blonde hair is poofed out, built up with lots of hair spray, it reminds me of a picture I once saw of my mom before I was born. If I had to guess her age, I'd say somewhere in her late forties, she's really pretty even with the crows feet that crinkles when she smiles. It just tells me she's smiled a lot in her lifetime, it's a pretty smile, a mouth that showcases her perfect white teeth. I've never had braces, I was pretty fortunate to have my teeth come in fairly straight, except for one tooth that's crooked on my bottom. She's wearing a cute pink top, something you'd see in a fifties diner, her name sewed into the shirt above her breast. Beverly, she looks like a Beverly. I've always wondered if my name fits me, do I look like a Veronica? A black modest skirt with a apron tied around her wide hips complete her uniform. It's been a while since I've been to Chrissy's, Beverly is someone I don't recognize, so she must be fairly new.

"I'll be right back with your drinks." She says and twirls on her feet towards the kitchen.

I look at Chase, "She thought we were a couple!"

He smiles wide, forcing me to look a this mouth, but I quickly avert my eyes. "Yeah, I was here."

"We're not a couple." I point out, stupidly.