Soup and Pie with McSwoony.

Start from the beginning

He doesn't move until I'm next to him and we both make our way back to the group. We split off, him going over to Vance, and I head to Taylor. She wags her eyebrows at me as I approach her, taking the seat next to her, "What kinda trouble you two getting into down there?"

I laugh, "Nothing. I'm gonna head out."

"And how are you getting home?" she smirks.

"Chase."

"Oh la la." she sings.

"You're crazy." I laugh.

I don't know why I'm not spilling out that he's not just taking me home, that we're going to grab some food. I don't need her to make something out of nothing, because it is nothing. I look up to see Chase and Vance smacking hands, Shannon is at his side, their gestures suggest Chase is telling Vance he's heading out. I watch as she says something to him, grabbing his arm, he says something and I watch her smile drop, her confidence deflates as she watches him walk away. This brings me joy, does that make me a horrible person? Oh, well.

"I'll text you tomorrow." I tell Taylor and make my way to Chase who's now reaching the dirt road that connects the road to the field.

"You better!" I hear her yell back.

I take my phone out and text Vance, telling him I'm hitching a ride with Chase, explaining that I want to get an early start on my car in the morning. I jog up to Chase, "Ready?" he asks as I come up next to him.

"Yep."

We walk in the dark silence, until the headlights of his car flash, lighting up the road making it easier to navigate. I walk to the passenger side as he goes to the driver side. My nerves are lighting up full force, I don't know why I'm nervous, or I like to think I don't. Being alone in Chase's presence has me like no one else. We both buckle up, he starts the ignition and pulls out of his spot, turning the car around.

"Where to?" he asks, breaking our silence.

"Hmm?" I hum looking out the window, watching him maneuver the car.

"It's been awhile, what's open? Is Chrissy's Diner still open all night?"

"Yep."

"Perfect."

He exits the dirt road, pulling onto the main paved road. I try to keep my mind occupied, but I guess I'm so occupied that I completely miss what Chase said, I feel him nudge me.

"What?" I ask looking at him, his face is illuminated by his dash.

He laughs not taking his eyes off the road, "You're eerily quiet over there, what are you thinking about?"

I really wasn't thinking about anything, okay that's a lie, but I'm not about to tell him I was trying to keep my mind off being alone with him again, in this enclosed space. Last time I was driving, so I was somewhat occupied. What do I do with my hands? He's looking at me, quick! "Soup or Pie?" I blurt.

"What?"

"What to order...soup or pie."

"Do they still serve the best shoe-fly pie?"

"Uh...Yeah!"

"Damn I've missed Chrissy's shoe fly pie!"

"Oh man. I don't think I could go a year without her pies." Because Chrissy definitely makes the best pie I've ever had, but you'll never hear me say that in front of my mom, even if they go way back.

I see him shrug, "It's not like I could get pies in care packages."

"Yeah, I guess not. Oh! Her french onion soup is killer!" I tell him.