Chapter 43

"He's okay, right?" Dan asks from the couch.  I wait for the nurse to reply, practically begging her to say those few select words that'd let us know that's he's doing well.  However, she stays silent.  I spin around on my toes, staring at her and keep waiting.

"Well?" I spit out impatiently, crossing my arms as I do.  I've tried to stay calm during this entire ordeal, but I need to know if Phil is alright.

"There were a few complications with the surgery," she relents, looking only at Dan as if I'm not here.  He stands up and joins my side, holding onto me tightly as if bracing for the worst.

"What kind of complications?" I ask, speaking for both of us as Dan is trying to keep from crying. 

"Very minor," the nurse tells us, smiling just for a second before it disappears as quickly as it came.  "He's awake now."

"Why didn't you start with that?" I ask as Dan starts bolting towards his room.  I quickly follow, running to catch up with him since his legs are much longer than mine.

"Excuse me!  There's more you need to know!" the nurse calls, and I hear her short heels clacking against the tiled floor as she chases after us.

"PHIL!" Dan exclaims as soon as he reaches the doors to his room.  I soon meet him, looking at Phil laying in his bed.

"Hey Phil!  How are you feeling?" I ask soothingly, trying to stay calm around him.  Instead of replying, he looks us up and down, with a look of confusion plastered on his face.

"Nurse?" he asks, not taking his eyes off us.

"These are your friends, Phil." she tells him as she walks in.  "They've been waiting to see you."

"What's wrong with him?" Dan asks sternly.

"I was trying to tell you; he has some memory loss.  We think it's because of the anesthesia and that it should wear off, but we will be monitoring his memory for a little and seeing if he improves."

"So this will go away?" Dan continues, wanting to make sure he understands her right in his shocked state.

"Hopefully.  I know it will be freaky talking to him, but if you two could stay with him and try to jog his memory that may help a lot."

"Of course we will; we were planning to stay anyway." I reply.

"Perfect." the nurse says, then turns back to Phil.  "Phil, your friends are going to stay with you tonight."

"Alright." he answers.  "What are their names?  I'm sorry, I just can't remember."

"That's okay, Phil.  I'm Dan," Dan salutes him, smiling nervously as if he doesn't know what else to do.

"And I'm Penelope," I tell him, walking over to him and crouching down to be on his level.  Dan drags the two chairs in the room over to me, letting me take a seat rather than strain my knees like this.  He sits down besides me, holding his head in his hands and just staring at Phil.

"You really don't remember us?" Dan asks him, shaking his head a little as he does.

"I'm sorry." Phil replies genuinely, obviously trying but not being able to figure everything out just yet.

"You will soon!" I tell him with a grin, placing my hand delicately and gently on his leg.  He flinches away ever so slightly, so I remove it quickly and apologize.  

"It's okay... Penelope." he half guesses.  I smile and nod excitedly at him, bringing a grin to his face as well.  "So... Dan," he looks over to me to check that he got his name right, making me nod happily and usher him on with what he was saying.  "How do I know you?"

"Well," he laughs, showing that cute little dimple that I haven't seen in such a long time.  "You make videos on the internet, and I was a huge fan."

"What kind of videos?" Phil grimaces, the worst probably running through his head.  It's almost laughable that he can remember things like that, but can't remember his best friend's name.

"Oh God, Phil.  Not those kinds of videos.  They're comedies and vlogs mostly." Dan answers, laughing a little to himself and unable to help it.

"What's a vlog?" Phil asks innocently, prompting Dan to pull out his phone.  

"I'll show you," he tells him, getting Phil's channel on the screen and playing one of his vlogs.

"Is that a video of yours?" Phil points to the one of the suggested videos, making Dan blush.  

"Yes, that's mine.  We're both YouTubers; this is what we do for a living," he explains, shutting off his phone since the video that's about to play is his first ever video and I know how much that makes him cringe.

"What about you, Penelope?  Are you a YouTuber?" Phil turns to me as I grab the phone from Dan and start playing a different video of his for Phil, thinking that showing him the videos will spark some kind of memory in him.

"No, but I think she should start a channel.  She's a fancy actress."

"Like in movies and television?"

"Exactly!" Dan says, going on to joke that they're all going to be going to my premiere soon so that's why Phil must get better.

"I'm going to a premiere?  Amazing!" Phil exclaims excitedly, turning to watch the video I'm playing for him and laughing at it.  We spend the rest of the night awake, even though Phil's doctors tell us that he may need to rest, watching tons of Dan and Phil's videos, including the crafting channel as well as all of the Dil Howlter videos, and laughing uncontrollably.  

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this chapter! I hope you guys are SUPER EXCITED for this week of CONSTANT UPDATES YESSSSSSSSS i know i'm excited to write every day! it's been a while since I've gotten to write at all.  so i have a question for you guys... would anyone want me to film a q&a video about wattpad/me/my life/etc.? would anyone even want that? let me know!! i'd add a separate chapter for questions at a later time BUT SERIOUSLY WOULD ANYONE WANT ME TO DO THAT BECAUSE I CAN TELL YOU RIGHT NOW I'M A VERY AWKWARD PERSON SO IT'D BE CRINGEWORTHY.  also please please please remember to vote for this story in the wattys! you vote by tweeting out TOMORROW: AUGUST 1, NOT TODAY:

 "I nominate Be My Juliet by writingmaniac321 #MyWattysChoice"

and if you did that I'd be the HAPPIEST PERSON EVER!!!!!!!  im already the happiest ever because anja_bb made this video and everyone should check it out!! i included it below:  

everyone should watch it RIGHT NOW!!! okay so please let me know if you liked this story by liking/commenting/fanning my profile, and stay amazing xx

**update i just made a twitter that you can follow if you want idk BUT if you vote for this story in the wattys then i'll follow you on there! kk cooooooooool here's the link: https://twitter.com/writingmaniac32