Chapter 1- Situation in Reverse

Start from the beginning

My smile dropped and my eyebrows came together in confusion. Girlfriend? Me? I've haven't had a real girlfriend since freshman year! Someone ought to silence that bird it's giving out the wrong information. "Who told you that bowl of lies?" I requested wincing when I forgot to catch the hackie sack.

"I'm not telling." She laughed, "- Jillian tell Josh to do his homework and get off the TV, now." She ordered my sister sounded irritated.

"Who you talking to?" Jill asked as I overheard.

"Your more behaved brother. -Anyways sorry about that. That kid is getting me on my last nerve today." She said getting back to me. I shrugged even though she couldn't see me, "So who is this girlfriend?" Mom asked sounding cheery again.

"Oh, um, uh, she's...?" I babbled. Uh, what do I say, besides the truth for starters? Why am I nervous? All I have to do is tell my mom I don't have a girlfriend. There's no shame in that.

Someone started laughing on the other end and I could tell it was my older sister Jillian. Ugh, the bitch! I know who's that dead bird now, "Mom I was joking! I said 'yeah and Jeremy has a girlfriend' sarcastically! Just like if I were saying 'and yeah monkey's hate bananas'" That's not even funny, I thought about rolling my eyes at my sister.

"I thought you were serious!" Mom exclaimed. Wow, doesn't she sound so surprised.

"Jill that doesn't even make sense." I thought I heard my other sister say in the background.

"Aw kiddo I thought you finally found a nice girl. Sorry about that." Well I'm offended. Mom sighed and I could just picture her putting down the knife as she began to look upset and a long deep conversation about to go on, "It's just you haven't talked about a girl in a long time. You know? Ever since, well. You know." She sighed and I knew if I was standing there she'd be with tears in her eyes.

I sat up in my bed rubbing the nap of my neck with my eyes closed. I didn't want, nor did I expect this phone call to be too deep, "I'm just worried for you Jeremy." she continued, "You're a nice boy and I want the best for you. I don't want you to hold back and be depressed forever. Get out there, go to a party, and meet a nice, smart, cute girl." She faintly giggled.

I smiled even though I felt horrible that my mom felt this way. Sure I haven't actually gone on a real date with a girl nor had a relationship for a few years but I never thought it was something to worry about. I've interacted with plenty of girls, but my mom doesn't know about any of this college business situation.

"But I guess with time you'll find the right girl. Oh, I know you will." She giggled as I heard the chopping start again, "You're too handsome. Girls will be going up to you if anything."

I chuckled giving an exaggerated mom whine like every typical kid. I sat on the edge of my bed, watching my roommates look at Finns Miss. USA calendar, probably to rate all twelve girls again, when an idea sprung in my head, "Well, um, mom." She hummed her answer as if singling she were still there listening, "What if I told you I do have a girl?" I said slowly. After finishing my sentence I knew there was no going back now. I was in for it deep.

*Present Day*

As I sat through the lecture for Business Law, trying to pay attention to what the professor was droning on about, but I couldn't help but stare at the back of her seat. I am such an idiot. I am a fool. Why did I have to open my big mouth? I squint my eyes shut and rested my forehead in the palm of my head. Stupid, stupid, fucking stupid!

The professor switched to a new slide of the projector. Everyone's heads went down to their papers or laptops as the sound of pens and pencils scribbled on paper, and keys clicked because of fast fingers. I arranged my pen all too quickly between my fingers that it slipped out of my grasp and on the floor. Muttering crap under my breath I looked for it in the mild dark room only to find it under Sky's desk.