Chapter 12- Keep Your Eyes Wide Open

His Fake Girlfriend

Chapter 12- Keep Your Eyes Wide Open

Josh, on the other side of the yard played with the soccer ball with his feet, kicking it back and forth to himself until he sent it off my way. I stopped the ball with the inside of my leg and foot before flicking it up in the air slightly so it could bounce on the top of my foot. All this while talking to Mason on the phone.

“You’re telling me she wasn’t jealous of your ex-girlfriend being there?” Mason asked again doubtfully. I rolled my eyes at his repeated question and kicked the ball back to Josh.

“She didn’t care one bit. And when we came back she even said-” I stopped looking up to see Josh looking at me as he listening in. I turned my back to him holding up my index finger asking him to hold on a minute. “She said well, it’s part of the job. Nothing is real and nothing counts.” I whispered quietly into the receiver. I looked over my shoulder to see if Josh heard but he didn’t seem interested any more. “Can you believe it?” I scoffed speaking back in my normal tone.

I waved for Josh to pass me the ball. Instead he pulled out a small soccer goal and motioned for me to stand. I walked over to the other side of the yard and he walked past me, standing where I stood earlier. “Wait I thought you said the feelings were mutual?” Mason inquired.

“No.” I stated solemnly, “She think these all made up too.”

“Well, have you told her it’s not fake?” Mason suggested.

“Of course I have.” I scoffed. My phone almost fell out of my hand as I quickly leaped to the other side of the net to stop the ball from going in. Cursing under my breath I kicked the ball back to Josh. That was totally unexpected. Josh only found it amusing.

“Dude, what’s so special about her anyways? I don’t even know what chick you’re talking about.” Mason insisted. I heard him whistle and I knew by the sound of that whistle he was checking out a girl. “Jer dude, you should have came to Bermuda with me. Lots of hot girls in bikinis to get your mind off a girl that seems not interested in you.” He comments strongly.

“She is but she isn’t it!” I shrug undecided. I shake my head and block the ball from coming in the net again. “There’s something that’s holding her back and I’m clueless.” I kicked the ball back to Josh.

“So you did something.” Mason accused.

“If I did I don’t know what it is.” I said defensively, holding my shoulders in a shrug motion while speaking really quickly. That irritated me very quickly and because my mind was focused on that Josh scored a goal. He cheered himself by jumping up in the air and doing some funky dance. With a grin I sent it back to him.

“Guys never know what we do wrong. But surely the girl always remembers.” Mason points out and with a loud slurp echoing through the receiver.

“Tell me about it.” I grumble stopping the ball once again.

“Well dude you’ve got all week to figure it out. If you don’t, sucks, there are literally thousands of other girls on campus to move on to.” Mason reminded and I didn’t like that reminder. “There’s always Kate Johns.” Now I really didn’t like that reminder. Mason howled with laughter and I just frowned kicking the ball to Josh who waited impatiently.

We both knew how much Kate Johns really is a pain to deal with and how I personal despise her. It all started when Kate started making up rumors about us. The fake dates were fun, and then we’d come back and she’d make up what happened. Then she got everyone to believe we’re going out but only in her mind are we actually going out. She never left me alone either. I swear she hunts me down all over campus and I regret ever giving her my number because now she always texts me.