14

I look at my mother, unbelieving. However, after I realize who else is here, I look back to the beautiful little girl that ran up to me.

I kneel down to her. "Laura?"

She nods and smiles widely. "Yes, mommy, it's me!"

I try my best to hold back the tears. My little girl is standing right in front of me, and she knows who I am.

I smile and pull her into my arms, hugging her tight.

I stand back up, Laura still in my arms, and I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look back and see that it's Luke. I actually forgot that he was there.

Laura looks up at Luke in awe. "You have pretty eyes," she says and Luke chuckles.

"Why thank you. So are yours. My name is Luke."

She gives him the biggest smile. "I'm Laura! This is my mommy! Isn't she beautiful?" she says pointing at me.

Luke nods and looks at me. "I couldn't agree more, but you know what?"

"What?" she asks curiously.

"You look just like her which makes you just as beautiful," he says with a wink.

Laura giggles. I never thought I would hear such a lovely sound.

********

We are now back at my house. I asked Luke to stay with me because I know I can't face my mother alone.

"You must have a lot of questions for me," my mother says, not making eye contact.

"Yeah, you could say that. First one, where have you been? Where did you take my daughter?" I ask with Laura sitting in my lap.

"I took her to California. It's where I knew she'd be safest."

I nod in understanding.

"How come you never contacted me? Even just a "hello" would have sufficed."

"Because I knew you would come looking for her, if I did. However, I did keep contact with your father."

I raise an eyebrow. "Explain."

"Well, your father and I are still married, so when I contacted him after I left, we both decided that we would have you see Laura again once you turned 18."

That hurts. My dad knew this whole time where Mom and Laura were and never told me. He watched me lose sleep over missing my daughter for 4 years and never told me.

"How does she know?" I ask.

"What do you mean?"

"How does she know that I'm her mother? I figured she would be calling you 'Mommy'"

"I've been showing her any recent pictures of you since she was able to speak. Your father always sent them. I explained to her everyday who you were. She's very smart and loves you very much."

"Does she know about her father?" I ask.

She sighs, "Yes, but she's not too fond of him."

I look down at Laura, who has now fallen asleep in my arms, and smile. I then look at Luke. "Would you mind taking her to my bedroom so she can sleep more comfortably?"

"You sure you'll be okay?" he asks, and I nod.

He kisses my forehead, picks Laura up and takes her to my room.

"Is he your boyfriend?" my mom asks when Luke is out of sight.

I smile. "Yeah, you could say that. I love him very much."

"How did you meet?" she asks.

I chuckle. "I used to date his older brother."

Mom raises an eyebrow. "What happened with the brother?"

"He cheated on me, for several months, and I didn't even know it until Luke told me. I thought Jack, his brother, was someone I could count on. I thought Luke was a jerk."

"But it was the other way around, am I right?" she asks.

I smile. "Yeah. Now, I trust Luke more than I've ever trusted anyone. He's the first person I ever told about Laura."

"Sounds like he could be the one."

"Yeah. Who knew that I would fall for my boyfriend's brother?"

_______________________________________

Okay, guys, please don't hate me, but this is the last chapter. I will post an epilogue, I promise!

Also, I will be starting a Michael fanfic soon! It's called Undecided. I will post the first chapter at some point today!

I love you all and thank you for giving this 4.01K reads!!!