Chapter 20: Mid-Term Madness

Start from the beginning

"P-Primary?" 

"Yeah, see here." he pointed towards the sentence with the tip of the pen. "You were right to underline that. It actually helped me get the answer quicker." 

He carefully guided me through the problem, not missing a single detail in his explanation. "So, its like, while I claim my own domain, everyone else claims theirs. And eight of them make up one eighth of the cube." he went through. "Simply put, the volume of my domain is one to one; half of the cube." 

Karma circled his final answer, making it seem like the question was simply child's-play for him. Like it was a walk in the park. That's just how smart he is. How much he endures, just to stay in the E-class. Just because of his job, as an assassin. 

"But, actually, if you studied this field a bit more, you would've gotten the answer." he pointed out, patting my head as a sign of acknowledgement. "You already got half of the working correct."

"That was just luck." I swatted his hand away, finding it annoying at how he still treats me as a child even though I'm supposed to be someone special to him now. "I wouldn't have ever gotten the answer." 

He chuckled, flipping the book to the cover. "This is university stuff." he simplified the title of the exercise book. 

My jaw dropped. He found the answer to a question usually asked in university that easily? Despite being a normal middle-schooler? 

Well, everything about him screams intelligence, though.  

"You're amazing, little doll." he patted my shoulder this time. "If you ask me, you'll nail the exams later. So, you have nothing to worry about." 

"Of course I do." I protested. "I don't want to disappoint Shunii or mom, now that she's here, my belated dad or Professor Koro. But, I think, honestly, I want to be a worthy partner for you." 

"F-For me?" 

I averted my eyes, "Karma, you're smart, funny and cool. And your physical strength overpowers mine by hundreds of miles. And, you're emotional state's much more stable than mine."

"Nagisa..." 

"I don't want to be clinging onto your tailcoat!" I blurted out. "I want to be on the same level with you. Not by you lowering your standards. I have to get up there, even if it means fighting a unicorn."

He stared at me, a moment later he burst out laughing, clutching his stomach to prevent it from exploding. "What's with that?!" he exclaimed. "A unicorn?! You'd go that far for me?" 

"W-Well, of course." I averted my eyes once again, staring at the wheels of the chair. "You're my boyfriend, after all." 

Although my eyes weren't directly meeting his, I spied on him at the corner of my eye, just in time to notice a visible layer of pink dust his cheeks. He tried to hide it, though, covering his mouth with the palm of his hand. His efforts were futile, unfortunately. 

"D-Do your best." he cheered before he walked towards his bed. "I'll be rooting for you, so do your very best." 

I smiled, "I plan to." I answered, confidence began to overwhelm me. 

"Get some sleep." he crawled into his bed, patting the area beside him soon after. "Its no use if you're not fully conscious later."

"I'm not getting in the bed with you." I refused, wanting my own personal space rather than having to share with the likes of him. 

"Suit yourself." he shrugged, simply drifting off to sleep. 

About two minutes or more passed, I decided to climb into the bed beside him and covered myself beneath the layer of blanket that I had to share. Slowly, I closed my eyes.