Prologue

Trapped in the corner of a dark alleyway at the back of the school, I was surrounded by bigger, tougher guys who claim to be better than me. Both academically and physically.

I remained silent as their glares fired through my head, showing their genuine hatred towards a filthy creature standing in front of them. I'll give you a hint, it was me. "Ready for today's session?" the leader of the pack proclaimed.

My mouth was stitched delicately so that I would not say anything to worsen the situation. "Answer me, E-class!" my liver was basically smashed by his fist before my body slammed against the brick wall behind me, sinking down onto the ground beneath my feet.

By the swing of his leg, his foot crashed into the side of my face with the force of a wrecking ball, bruising the area. Multiple kicks followed after that, not only to my face but all over my body including my head.

With my condition, I could hardly even stand anymore. I couldn't protest. I couldn't do anything, in fear that if I did, the cover that I concealed for 2 years, will be blown in mere seconds. "You're worthless." the guy reminded. "Useless. Like every other piece of trash in the world. You're no different from them, Nagisa."

Another kick sent scarlet dripping from my mouth. The taste of warm blood wasn't pleasant after you get used to the texture. The feeling of bruises rising on the surface of my skin sends pain running along my nerves. The rotten smell of their shoes didn't help sweeten things up either.

"Enough child's play," they stopped. "Time to bring out one of these." the main pulled out a knife, one that would be fearsome to some but, to me, it looked only natural.

"You ready?" he tried to threaten me with a mere blade. Seeing my silence to be of annoyance, he neared the knife dangerously close to my throat, lifting my head up to face him. "Say something, or else I'm really going to kill you."

His words echoed through my mind. His disgusting eyes hid the fact that he's scared, his shaking hand revealed everything to me. Kill? Who, me? You must be kidding.

"Do you even have the guts to do it?" I sneered, still wary of the tip of the blade to my throat.

"Don't fuck around with me, low-life!" although the chances are zero to none, he charged the blade towards me at the speed of a bullet. Yet, after a good five seconds, the pain never came in contact with my body. I opened my eyes that I'd shut a while ago and saw a hand grabbing my attacker's arm, preventing him from exceeding his humanity.

"Hey now," a raspy voice pierced my ears. "Playing with knives is dangerous, you know?"

With a single twist, my attacker's arm was bent backwards and lost its blade to the challenger behind him. "I'll dispose of it for you now, okay?" the red-head smiled which made me confused. He was so laid back, so composed and yet, he still seems frightened somehow.

"What the hell, Karma?" the guy whined. "Give me back my knife."

"No can do, bro." he gagged. "These things are banned in school grounds, I'll let you off with a warning this time around but, the next time I catch you with a knife,"

He glared at him, "I'll be the one to end your pathetic life." he said.

Just like that, the group was sent running for the hills in every direction possible. Huh, idiots.

I looked up at the red-head, who was wearing a bored expression clear on his face while gazing at the blade in his hand. This guy...is the typical bad boy feared by all in this school, Karma Akabane.

And I don't want anything to do with the likes of him.

"Oh?" he noticed me. "Are you okay, miss?" he walked towards me, extracting a hand to help me up.

I refused to take his kindness into toleration and stood up myself. Of course, being beat to the verge of death didn't help my balancing skills as I toppled over my own feet.

Expecting to come in contact with the ground any second now, being supported by the hands of this ruffian was the least possible thing to happen thus far. Snapping my eyes open, I released myself from his grasp as I leaned myself against the wall. "Why are you being so hard on yourself, miss?" he cocked his head to one side, making those puppy eyes that would melt the heart of every girl out there. But, to his surprise, he's got me mistaken for one of his victims.

Slowly, I tried walking away from him, relying on the wall to act as my balancer since my legs are weak as is. "Hey, miss, why are you trying so hard to bear with the pain?" he followed me.

He's annoying. People who try to help others by prying are just plain annoying. I've got to hurry, third period starts soon and I don't want to be kicked out of this school, worse case scenario. I stopped dead in my tracks, responding to the knife plunged in front of me which stuck in the brick wall. "Don't you dare ignore me, you little bitch." he stood in front of me, unsatisfied with my ignorance.

I straightened my posture since I was slouching from the wounds inflicted on me and it was considered rude to do so when you're initiating a conversation with somebody, be it a ruffian. "I'm sorry, what was it that you wanted from me?" I asked, clear and confident.

"You shouldn't be so cocky to a guy that just saved your life." he crossed his arms, complaining about my attitude. "I mean, you would've been dead if I hadn't stopped that attack."

"So?" I raised an eyebrow. "What's your point?"

"You should, at least, thank me."

"Thank you, Karma Akabane, for saving a humble--no, lowly life from being murdered." Sarcasm could be detected even if you were a mile away by the sound of my voice.

"Why were you being bullied anyway?" he knitted his eyebrows together. "What's your deal?"

"I don't know. Being stupid is a curse, I guess." I shrugged.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm a guy in the, cursed and horrible, E-class down that corner." I explained. "It sucks but, I'm trying to improve."

"Wait, wait, wait. You're in my class?" he looked at me confused. He paused for a second, "You're a guy?!"

His shout made me jump back a little, frightened by the way he looked at me with disbelief. "Y-Yeah." I smiled nervously.

"No way, I didn't notice at all." he sighed. "What a let down."

"Excuse me?"

"I mean, you're cute and everything, I thought I scored a decent chick, you know?"

"A boy doesn't appreciate being called cute, Karma." I scoffed.

"Sorry about that." he gagged. "Are you new here?"

"I've been studying in this school since 6th grade."

"No way!" he, again, looked at me in disbelief. "I haven't noticed you at all!"

I sighed. This guy's the worst. Why was he even talking to me so casually when he doesn't even know who I am? I continued what I had left off which was walking away from Karma, trying to fit my life back into its positions.

"Hey wait, where are you going?" he called out.

"Out of here, where else?"

"Why?"

"Cause I need to get back to class."

"What would education matter to a killer?"

I turned around to see the devilish smirk he threw at me, growing wider from my silence.