Chapter 24

Chapter 24:

Skylar’s POV

                When Daniel and I arrived at our spot, I saw, already set up by the tree, a picnic blanket, with two plates set on top, and a picnic basket in the middle. Lanterns hanging on the branches of the trees, almost like making a spot light on us. I turned to look at Daniel and saw that he had a nervous look, and I couldn’t help but giggle at the shuffling of his feet, and his hand scratching the back of his neck, an obvious sign that he was indeed nervous. Taking hold of his hand, I gently tugged him towards the blanket, eager to dig into the delicious food that was in the basket, and getting, I’m sure one of the best dates I had ever been on, started.

                I watched as Daniel started to unpack the picnic basket, and was surprised to find chicken, salad, and a box filled with strawberries dipped in chocolate. I opened the container with the chocolate covered strawberries, and bit on the sweet sweetness, and I couldn’t resist the moan that escaped my lips as I chewed on the deliciousness. This one sound caused Daniel to stop dishing out the food and look at me, a different look in his eyes, an almost lust like look.  I blushed as I realized that what I did could’ve been taken the wrong way, and in order to calm my erratically beating heart, I took a huge sip of the raspberry lemonade that he had brought.

                “I, uh, take it that you like the strawberries,” he said his voice slightly husky. I nodded my head, still too embarrassed with what I did to speak. “I’m glad. I remember you talking about how you always wanted to have a fondue machine, and well, chocolate covered strawberries are the closest I could come to the experience for you.”

                Is it possible for your heart to grow even bigger than its normal size? If it’s possible, I feel as though my heart had just grown to a kid sized bouncy ball, just from the cuteness that is Daniel Taylor.

                “Ugh, stop looking at me like that,” Daniel whined, his eyebrows scrunching together like a little kid. “I know, I can be a romantic, just don’t tell my sister because she’ll be all proud about the fact that she possibly was an influence when we were younger.”

                I shook my head at his comment, but decided that it’d be best to just drop the subject all together, and what best way to drop a subject than to stuff your mouth with food. Biting into the chicken, I was once again in heaven. “Daniel, this is delicious!” I praised him, my brown eyes wide with a little shock. “Did you make this or…”

                “No. I bought the chicken at the store, raw, while my mom cooked it. I just took pieces of it, and brought them,” he answered.

                “Well, your mother is one heck of cook!” I complimented, taking another bite of the chicken.

                “See, that’s what I like about you, you don’t cuss,” Daniel said. “It’s refreshing.”

                I shrug my shoulders, like it’s no big deal. “I’m not into it. To me, I feel as though girls aren’t really, I don’t know, proper, for lack of a better word.” Daniel nodded his head in agreement. “Have you ever gotten so surprised or angry that you were so close to swearing?”